Coyotes: They do have their own look!

Trapper Glatzer

This gal was from yesterday, on a nuisance call I got.

Attachments

• 9-20-17.jpg
    9-20-17.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 1,475
  • 9-20-2017.jpg
    9-20-2017.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 1,481

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
You sure those are coyotes? :)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Nic, you know how I think. I don't think there is a pure coyote east of the Plains, and the DNA tests agree. We have brush wolves.

K80

that's a wolf

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
what is the difference in this brush wolf you speak of and a coyote?

An average of about 30% or more wolf DNA, according to every study they do. If you've ever seen true western coyotes, you would see the difference. They are mostly 25-30 pounds, don't pack, and don't have color variations. Our eastern "coyotes" can weigh up to 60 lbs or more, and probably average in the 35-40 range. They often hunt in packs, and they come in a multitude of color phases, from black to blond. They get this from the wolf DNA.

If you read early accounts and journals by European explorers of the southeast in the 1700s, the smaller variety of wolf they describe is pretty much identical to our eastern "coyotes." Many scientists think that they should be declared a distinct species, because they are not coyotes. They are a coyote/wolf hybrid.

transfixer

So I've got this guy running around my property, second time I've had him on camera, he's solid black, but he's small , not full grown ? so he's not just plain ole coyote ?

Attachments

• black coyote.jpg
    black coyote.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 1,361

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Probably no yote east of the Mississippi is a "plain ole coyote." Coyotes don't come in black. Wolves do. And wolf-coyote hybrids.

HunterJoe24

Nic, you know how I think. I don't think there is a pure coyote east of the Plains, and the DNA tests agree. We have brush wolves.

I killed a coyote a couple of years ago that was easily 50lbs. I think it was a mix. I've never seen a coyote get that big and the only reason I could come up with was that it was most likely a coywolf

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I killed a coyote a couple of years ago that was easily 50lbs. I think it was a mix. I've never seen a coyote get that big and the only reason I could come up with was that it was most likely a coywolf

Pretty much all of them in the east are, according to the studies and DNA testing they've done.

HossBog

Well I'll be a suckeggedmule, I didn't know we only had coyote/wolves here! I've seen a few far west coyotes and they are skinnier.

Hunting 4 Him

I shot two black "coyotes" on Quantico marine base a few years ago and the game biologist there says they have a strain of Algonquin wolf in them.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I killed a coyote about two year ago, that was in my cow pasture, he was the reddest coyote I have ever seen and he was over 50 lbs. Guess the wolf strain is here too. He was way out there, but the 204 got him before he could blink an eye.