The great debate. " Lake, stream or pond"

BowanaLee

Georgia law as read in the hunting regs. "It is unlawful to take a deer by any means while it is in a lake, stream, or pond.

Can you shoot a deer as it WALKS across a knee deep creek ?

livetohunt

I have always been told it is illegal to shoot a deer in the creek..The main reason I heard was for bullet ricochet. Which doesn't apply to bow hunting, but there are no exceptions for bow hunting in the regs.

ROLLTIDE 33

I seen your stand in the tree in the post where the buck was dead so I understand your question here. To me as long as the deer is not being hampered by the water and is walking along fine i see no reason why you wouldn't shoot. Fire at em

alligood729

It would be determined by common sense, or individual interpretation by LEO. My interpretation? The deer would have to immersed and swimming which would make them helpless to any form of hunting, or predator for that matter. Walking across a 6" deep creek they are not helpless. I'd shoot.

Last edited:

livetohunt

Best solution is to call the game warden in your county and ask him.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member

And the answer is going to vary from warden to warden. They are just as confused on the interpretation of this law as we are.

The mtn man

I think I read once that water below the knees is legal, that might have been north carolina? By the way, your YouTube videos are awesome!!!!

alligood729

I just had a conversation with the former director of WRD. Intent of the law is to protect swimming animals. Standing in water is fine. You are good.....

2bbshot

I assumed this law was to keep someone from riding up on a swimming deer and shooting it? If I'm in my deer stand and a deer I want to shoot comes by I'm shooting it. His feet being wet in a creek won't save him from a Simmons from me.

BowanaLee

I did years ago. Its to protect swimming deer. Our government does come up with some crazy regulations so you really need to think about it sometimes. :bounce:
What does it serve to make a law against shooting a deer standing in water. A mud puddle wouldn't be any different. Where would it end ? :bounce:

I seen your stand in the tree in the post where the buck was dead so I understand your question here. To me as long as the deer is not being hampered by the water and is walking along fine i see no reason why you wouldn't shoot. Fire at em
That creek is my shooting lane. I can cross it in my regular rubber boots almost anywhere. But, that deer was found dead, probably from EHD ?
I got a PM from a member saying I was breaking the law shooting a deer there. This thread is serving to educate. :cheers:

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
And the answer is going to vary from warden to warden. They are just as confused on the interpretation of this law as we are.
just shoot it and tell him it fell in the water

I just had a conversation with the former director of WRD. Intent of the law is to protect swimming animals. Standing in water is fine. You are good.....

This is what I have always been told. Cant shoot swimming animals.

swampstalker24

I asked a game warden about this one time as i was hunting in a carolina bay that periodically held about 6 inches of water... He said as long as it was not dinking from the water when i shot i was good :huh: :rofl:

spencer12

This is to protect swimming deer. How could one hunt a cypress swamp if it were illegal to shoot a deer standing in water? They cross through my swamp all the time and it's 2-3 feet deep or deeper at times (now). If I can't shoot them in water im out of luck.

ucfireman

Georgia law as read in the hunting regs. "It is unlawful to take a deer by any means while it is in a lake, stream, or pond.

Can you shoot a deer as it WALKS across a knee deep creek ?
I have always wondered the same question. Maybe C. Killmaster will weigh in?

rvick

Maybe that's why the old buck spends 90% of his life with his feet wet.

BowanaLee

Mr Green jeans told me long ago that its to protect swimming deer. This post is more for spreading information.