Strange Find on Pine Log Today

Clipper

I took down and hauled 4 stands out of the woods yesterday and since I hadn't been pig hunting since the Chickasawhatchee hunt I decided it was time today. It was also time to take my new to me Big Jim Buffalo on its first hunt.

I went to a spot on Pine Log WMA where I had seen sign last year, put my nose in the wind and started walking. About a half mile from the truck I looked to my right and saw a what appeared to be a notebook sized piece of paper on a tree. I went to investigate and sure enough, it was a printed sheet in a plastic sheet protector duct taped to a tree. I can't remember everything it said but it read like a message from lost hikers. Sitting on the ground beneath it was an army ammo can with an antenna protruding from the top. The can had "Civil Air Patrol" printed on it in several places. There was also a hand written note on the ground telling someone congratulations for finding the site. It didn't make sense that lost hikers would leave a printed message in a sheet protector fastened to a tree with duct tape. Hikers normally don't carry any of those three things.

I marked the spot on my GPS, never touched the box, left the paper as I found it, and continued my hunt. After thinking about it a little more I have come to the conclusion that the box was a signal device being used in a civil air patrol training exercise.

I saw absolutely no hog sign until I got to the end of the area I had chosen to hunt and found an area the size of my house that had been rooted up since the last rain. I will go back there soon. I have decided to kill hogs up here I must find where they bed and hunt them there because I just don't see them during daylight hours where I'm finding sign. Pine Log is a pretty busy place and they have the gates open now. I like it better when they are closed - I bike in to my hunt spots and have them to myself. Anyway, I was glad just to be in the woods on two beautiful afternoons and get in a 3 mile walk.

Jeff Raines

yep,geocache.............there are apps you can use that will let you know when you are close to one.

AllAmerican

Maybe more conspiracy to this than we think? Or it's just a geocache, good story! Thanks for sharing.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like a geocache to me, also. I find them all the time, people go out with their GPS units looking for them. It's apparently a popular thing to do nowadays.