Broke my Buck knife

HuntinJake_23

I have always been a fan of using Buck knives, but recently their product has made me unhappy. I have the Omni Hunter 12pt, last year I was using it to gut a deer and the blade chipped a piece off about the size of a paper clip, I sent it back and they told me that to their assesment I misused the knife and they would give me a courtesey replacement, well this year I was doing the same thing and and it broke again, Im sending it back for good this time, I wrote them a letter that let them know how I felt and that they could just keep the knife, and I am going to Gerber!!! Has anyone else had this problem??? :banginghe
The orange patch is what chipped off!!!

Attachments

• buck knife.jpg
    buck knife.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 855
Last edited:

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
The Bucks are very hard, therefore very brittle. I think they are tempering them too long. I've got a new Gerber and it is softer and easier to sharpen. Oil it often though because it will rust easily.

RUTTNBUCK

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have always been a fan of using Buck knives, but recently their product has made me unhappy. I have the Omni Hunter 12pt, last year I was using it to gut a deer and the blade chipped a piece off about the size of a paper clip, I sent it back and they told me that to their assesment I misused the knife and they would give me a courtesey replacement, well this year I was doing the same thing and and it broke again, Im sending it back for good this time, I wrote them a letter that let them know how I felt and that they could just keep the knife, and I am going to Gerber!!! Has anyone else had this problem??? :banginghe
Many of the well known knife names have knives that are made in China now, including Gerber.........These are usually sold in the big box stores..........Save your money, and buy yourself one from the many craftsmen here on this site!!:cheers:

Redbow

I have found that most Chinese made items are junk. I don't know about Buck Knives if they are made there or not. If so, then thats probably the problem with them...

I have sent back 20 or 25 over the years. Buck either replaced the broken blade or sent me a brand new knife at my request.
Great people to do business with.

labs4life

Buck knives were made in JApan for a while, but has now moved all production back to the USA. I have one I have had for about 15 years and I can clean 4-5 deer and never resharpen it.

Very good knife, IMO...

GoldDot40

I've always bought/carried Gerber knives. I can tell you though, they have their moments too. I broke about 1/4" off the tip off a Gerber Gator once. All I was doing was 'poking' a vent hole in a plastic chemical container to get it to pour better. I also had the locking mechanism (part of the handle) snap off on one of their Paraframe knives. I still have both knives, but I've never contacted them about replacement.....they're in a box in the closet.

I carry a Gerber Compact Sport multi-tool and use it every single day. I also carry a Mini Paraframe clipped onto my pocket 99% of the time when I'm awake. It's hard to imagine getting through the day without a good knife.

deermeat270

Banned

Heres a classic buck knife for 5 dollars. Cant beat it.

http://www.copesdistributing.net/pr...=3101&osCsid=98ee54ed60c7f225bf4d23fe55fdcf33

bighonkinjeep

Yes I have had the same thing happen with an Omni hunter. Entirely my fault. That's what happens when you use a skinning knife to hack at bone and cartilage.(thin blade taper) You have to use the right tool for the job at hand. The Omni hunter is a very good skinning knife but when the skinning is done you need a more suitable tool for the butchering. Perhaps Buck should label this model as a "skinning knife" rather than a "hunting knife". I have found the Buck 119 special to be a much better all around hunting knife with plenty of backbone for the job of butchering and it has a razor sharp edge which works well for skinning. I believe if you go with a 119 special for cutting up deer you will be very happy. Bucks just seem to have a superior edge. (they have em at Wal Mart for $39) If you haven't sent it off to Buck yet you might ask em to swap it for a model 119.
BHJ

MCBUCK

Been using a Buck Skinner 103 for over twenty years, and never a problem; eexcept for one that I lost. Well worth the $80 bucks. Keeps a razors edge, skins easy, guts good. Shorter blade is pretty easy to work with, but the long curve has a lot of cutting surface. Blade is thick too.

Attachments

• Buck Skinner.jpg
    Buck Skinner.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 451

Sterling

I've broken the tips off some of my folding knives. Went back to my Gerber.

Sterlo58

Many of the well known knife names have knives that are made in China now, including Gerber.........These are usually sold in the big box stores..........Save your money, and buy yourself one from the many craftsmen here on this site!!:cheers:

I agree. I have a couple knives I bought from Sharpblades that I suspect will serve me for the rest of my life and will probably be passed down to my boys. When you figure the price you will pay replacing several of the cheaper mass produced knives it is not hard to justify buying a handcrafted knife.

MCBUCK

Agreed on the custom made knives. My father in law made an incredible knife for my son, and I would love to have it, or one like it...sad that he dosen't make them any more. Solid blade, holds a razors edge, won't rust, and has a beauty about it that is unmatched by a factory blade.