War Between the States trivia thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
What confederate officer was so obedient to his commanders orders that he rode 14 miles on horseback in a blinding snowstorm because his commander had sent him a note asking that he come see him when it was convienient.

Last edited:

Resica

What confederate officer was so obedient to his commanders orders that he rode 14 miles on horseback in a blinding snowstorm because his commander had sent him a note asking that he come see him when it was convienient.

Stonewall?

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
That sounds just like him.

Imagine how the War might have been different in the West if Pope had treated Bragg the same.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Stonewall?

That sounds just like him.

Imagine how the War might have been different in the West if Pope had treated Bragg the same.

Indeed it was Jackson and of course his commander was Lee. From what I read Lee reminded him that it was not urgent and he had sent word to come when it was convenient. Jackson replied something like " Sir your slightest thought is an urgent order for me"
Jackson demanded the same from his subordinates as well. He was known to put all officers from entire brigades under arrest for failure to follow orders exactly.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
here is a question I plagiarized from another website. I don't remember ever reading of this one.

--------------------------------------------------

The war's most striking victory in consideration of lost resources was the Confederate victory at ___________.
Capt. Richard W. Dowling , defending with 43 men and 6 cannon, held of a Federal force of 15,000 troops.

Fill in the blank with [1] Choctaw Bluff, Miss. [2] Point Clear, Ala. [3] Sabine Pass, Tex. [4] Alexander Ferry, Tenn

RBM

I think I read something about this when I was looking at Texas battles (the last battle of the WFSR, Palmetto Ranch) but I'm not sure or don't recall so this is a wild guess. #3

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I think I read something about this when I was looking at Texas battles (the last battle of the WFSR, Palmetto Ranch) but I'm not sure or don't recall so this is a wild guess. #3

Good guess............ Sabine Pass indeed. Now its your turn Robert.

RBM

Okay. We are going back on the water for this one.

The final Confederate surrender took place on November 6, 1865 in Liverpool, England aboard what ship? This surrender brought about the end of the Confederate Navy. This ship had circumnavigated the globe, the only CSN ship to do so. She was a screw steamer, full rigged, iron-framed, and turned over to British Government. Officially a Wooden Cruiser in the same class of ships as the Alabama, Sumter, and Florida.

Answers to make it easier.

A) CSS Tallahassee B) CSS Shenandoah C) CSS Alexandra D) CSS United States

Last edited:

RBM

The answer is B) CSS Shenandoah.

What battle took place in Tennessee that ended in a loss for Confederate forces in April of 1862?

This battle saw Confederate forces poorly armed with shotguns, hunting rifles, pistols, flintlock muskets, and a few pikes other than two regiments that had Enfield rifles.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Here is an easy one to help us old timers who cant remember .................... now what was I typing for.

Oh yeah.

What battle was fought with many of the elite citizens of a nearby city watching for entertainment ???

These same citizens had to share a road a bridge with the retreating defeated troops during and after the battle.

RBM

Milkman said:
What battle was fought with many of the elite citizens of a nearby city watching for entertainment ???

These same citizens had to share a road a bridge with the retreating defeated troops during and after the battle.

1st Manassas

RBM

RBM said:
What battle took place in Tennessee that ended in a loss for Confederate forces in April of 1862?

This battle saw Confederate forces poorly armed with shotguns, hunting rifles, pistols, flintlock muskets, and a few pikes other than two regiments that had Enfield rifles.

The battle was named after a nearby church. It also saw the loss of a Confederate General and a Federal Major General. Can you also name the Federal Major General that was killed? This was a major battle.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
The battle was named after a nearby church. It also saw the loss of a Confederate General and a Federal Major General. Can you also name the Federal Major General that was killed? This was a major battle.

You are speaking of the Battle of Shiloh. The good guys lost Albert Sydney Johnston. The federals lost General Wallace. The federals named the battle after a port on the river called Pittsburgh Landing.
I haven't searched but we did some questions on this battle in this thread I think. If not it was in an earlier one.

RBM

Milkman said:
You are speaking of the Battle of Shiloh. The good guys lost Albert Sydney Johnston. The federals lost General Wallace. The federals named the battle after a port on the river called Pittsburgh Landing.
I haven't searched but we did some questions on this battle in this thread I think. If not it was in an earlier one.

:clap:

On both questions. Over to you, Marvin. Ironic that Shiloh means "place of peace" in Hebrew isn't it? There was no peace at Shiloh Church in 1862.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Name a very high ranking Union Cavalry officer who was captured during Sherman's Ga campaign.

He and Thomas J. Jackson were cadet room-mates at West Point

For an extra cigar where was he captured?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
George Stoneman. The other side of the river from Macon?

Stoneman it was.............. and yes north of Macon. His command was doomed after being repelled at Macon. His raiders were even repelled at the Oconee/Clarke county line by a group of home guard. All but one company of the 1200 men who left to make a big circle around Atlanta were lost on this raid.

I attended an event Sunday where the author of "Sherman's Horsemen" spoke.

Yep another book to read now.:D

Resica

Stoneman it was.............. and yes north of Macon. His command was doomed after being repelled at Macon. His raiders were even repelled at the Oconee/Clarke county line by a group of home guard. All but one company of the 1200 men who left to make a big circle around Atlanta were lost on this raid.

I attended an event Sunday where the author of "Sherman's Horsemen" spoke.

Yep another book to read now.:D

After I answered "the other side of the river" , I looked and saw that it was 7 miles north of Clinton at Sunshine Church. I wonder if Old Clinton BBQ was there back then.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.