Winchester Longbeard XR

hawglips

Banned
Don't think it is the shell in that case. The guys that hand load are the guys that spend more time getting to know the gun. I was surprised at the folks that stop by that have NO CLUE the POA/POI of the gun they had. The guy that gets into the numbers game I don't think have a better choke, gun or shell. I think they have learned the gun. 50% is equipment and 50% is hunter

No question that guys who load their own spend more time at the range and therefore are surely going to do a better job performing well when they pull the trigger, compared to the average Joe who is looking to buy the cheapest stuff he can find and then starts shooting at turkeys.

I am not sure exactly what your definition of the "guy who gets into the numebers game" is, but I can say with confidence that the ammo makes a huge difference in performance when it comes to whether a turkey lives, is crippled, or dies when the guy pulls the trigger. It gives the biggest bang for one's turkey hunting buck. I can only speak for myself, but I can't see the point of spending thousands of dollars to hunt every year, and then skimping when it comes to the moment of truth, just to save a few dimes.

IMO, whatever one shoots, just make sure you know what the pattern of shot is doing out there, and then keep within the shell's limitations. As ethical hunters, it should be our goal to have a dead turkey, every time we point the gun at one and pull the trigger. And since most hunters don't play the numbers game enough to know better, I'm afraid a lot of hunters are going to fall for the deceptive 60+ yard marketing job Winchester is doing.

hawglips

Banned
I do not after shooting the 7s for two years and pulling numerous pellets out of breasts near side skin and pallets it is hard to compare Hevi on an equal plane with anything do to the floor sweepings in every shell.. I had fly specks called pellets wedged between layers of cardboard.

In my best Forrest Gump voice "hevi shot is like a box of chocolates, ya never know what your gonna get"

The Hevi 7s are a fantastic 40 yd load but one would have to measure each individual pellet to get some form of average penetration.

I won't shoot the Hevi-13 7s, for that reason. And I won't be shooting the Longbeard 6s either, for the same insufficient energy reasons.

But the Hevi-13 size issue goes both ways - smaller and larger.

I suspect the Longbeard shells are also going to be a fantastic 40 yd load - but not a fantastic 20 yd or 60 yd load. Due to the laws of physics, it's going to have a more narrow range where it give high performance, compared to the HTL stuff.

WFL

Hawglips what was saying is they spend the time looking for numbers they are spending time learning the gun. It shoots this way clean that way dirty. It likes this shell that choke. I know the old school guys walk up shoot paper walk out look at it say that is a dead bird and walk off. Most them you hang paper with 2 inch square at 50 feet tell them blow hole in it they can. I see both sides of this. Get guys come around they look at you like you from outer space when you ask when have you cleaned the gun. Guy buy a choke or gun then say it not put up the numbers other guy did. A lot more to it then plug and play. That is why I ask if someone calls with TSS who's load are you shooting.

Now as in short rang of the new long beard it is going to be a bad shell because the guy that looks at the patterns. Got to have that and don't realize A lot more work to it when it comes to this load. This liad is like the Fed FCW HW in the 20. Good load 30 to 40 yards but need to be on your a game if bird is at 20 yards

turkeykirk

I see in the Winchester ad that the Drury brothers are bragging about a gobbler they shot at 66 yards. Said the load was so effective they were going to move their decoys out further! No telling how many wounded gobblers this type advertising will cause this Spring.

SCDieselDawg

I couldn't agree with you more! I'm going to stick with what I know will kill one though. Plus, not real sure about those Long beards. Could just be me, or maybe it was explained to me wrong, but the way it was explained tells me that if everything doesn't go just right there could be a disaster.

I understand the sticking with what you know works. That's why if I get to try the Longbeards this spring I will have my Hevi-choke and a couple MagBlends in my pocket in case I need to revert back.

hawglips

Banned
I see in the Winchester ad that the Drury brothers are bragging about a gobbler they shot at 66 yards. Said the load was so effective they were going to move their decoys out further! No telling how many wounded gobblers this type advertising will cause this Spring.

Take a look at the 20 yard pattern and you'll see the real reason they need to move their decoys out farther.

M Sharpe

Must of had the decoys out pretty far if they shot him at 66 yds. Unless he was fixing to turn tail and run!!!

If it ain't broke, why fix it???

klemsontigers7

Take a look at the 20 yard pattern and you'll see the real reason they need to move their decoys out farther.

Have you shot it at 20 yards? I have, it's no more dense at 20 than other similar loads. Its not "too tight" at 20... pattern one and you'll see... or keep bashing it, that works as well.

strutlife

I still have some testing to do with different shells, however, with my setup, the longbeard xr #6 in 3.5 shot the best pattern I have ever witnessed in person and with my gun. Was very well pleased with the results of the longbeards. So impressed I bought 2 more boxes and will be stocking up on some more shortly.

icdedturkes

I still have some testing to do with different shells, however, with my setup, the longbeard xr #6 in 3.5 shot the best pattern I have ever witnessed in person and with my gun. Was very well pleased with the results of the longbeards. So impressed I bought 2 more boxes and will be stocking up on some more shortly.

I would not waste my money on any other shells to try.. If your into counting 10 inch circles there is most likely no other factory shell gonna produce better patterns.. If you keep all your shooting inside 40 that load is gonna do it every single time if you do your part..

I would stock up.. Environmetal is more notorious for changing components but even with Win who knows when or ever something will change in this loading.

Timber1

BANNED
I won't shoot the Hevi-13 7s, for that reason. And I won't be shooting the Longbeard 6s either, for the same insufficient energy reasons.

So ...are you saying heavy 13 7's and Longbeard 6's dont have sufficient energy to kill at 40 yards? 50 yards? At what yardage do they start lacking killing power?

cowhornedspike

Have you shot it at 20 yards? I have, it's no more dense at 20 than other similar loads. Its not "too tight" at 20... pattern one and you'll see... or keep bashing it, that works as well.

You obviously just skipped right past post #17 above.

sman

Ripped a hole at 20. Decapitation or humiliation!

WFL

Well I will say that 95% of the guns and shells we shoot at 20 blows a hole like that one did. Now we do everything but blow hole with walmart 8's at 20.

klemsontigers7

Well I will say that 95% of the guns and shells we shoot at 20 blows a hole like that one did. Now we do everything but blow hole with walmart 8's at 20.

Yep, light dove loads blow a hole at 20.

These Long Beards are no tighter at 20 than other similar shells.

gregg

I mean really......If you can't hit his head/neck at 20 yards with the pattern shown then go practice a little.

boothy

If he is close aim low. Simple as that. I would rather body shoot him a hair than send my pattern wizzing by his head.

Nannyman

Ok. Having read most posts on multiple forums I have tested the 3" #6 longbeard shells. The 1st thing I noticed that no one had mentioned is they are "Roll" crimped with a black scored OSC.
I shot them in a 23" 870SM with a 660 JellyHead. I shot at 40yds and 20yds. I did not find it to be too tight at 20.
7B619ED1-8F31-42C5-9C5E-6C860CA461E8-2229-0000022AAA10AD74_zps5f0b2edb.jpg

Now after the 20yd test I went to 40. The patterns are all tight, but for Me, too tight. 190 in 10 is just fine but 150 in the 20 is too thin for me. They may well work better in more open chokes. I also feel the gaps are too numerous. I think as most do that this is and will be the best lead shell out there.
BFAD815E-01E7-4851-A929-2EF8CAAD3AF3-2229-0000022D2808D89E_zps4f147ac3.jpg

Last edited: