My first piggy

Been hunting for pigs for about a year. I've missed one with a muzzleloader, had my glasses fog up on a big boar last summer, and jumped one near my feeder about a week ago (hands full of corn - no gun within reach). It always seemed I was one step behind them.

So I found a good spot down in a thick bottom with good trails, footings, and several rub trees. I set up a camera and some corn and confirmed I had a good spot. In a week I had no less than 25 different pigs (along with bears, turkey, and deer). I put up a feeder and some led lights as they were coming at night and started sitting out on many a night. I could hear them but never get one with range or within my lights.

Thursday and Friday it came a monsoon. Friday night I saw the weather showed we were going to get a little break in the rain. My buddy and I knew we wanted to be on the hogs at that feeder right when the rain let up as we figured they would be hungry.

We eased down into the bottom and coasted in the UTV for the last 30 yards. We jumped a turkey and three bears at the feeder. I got out my Marlin chambered in 45/70 and loaded her up with Hornady Leverevolution. Not 5 minutes passed when this boar I'd seen on camera eased out of the palmettos about 25 yards out. I put the bead on him and squeezed the trigger. Click. I forgot to release the safety. I cocked it again but he had disappeared. I guess the urge to eat one out over his caution because 5 minutes later he shows back up 30 yards out. I put the scope on him again and put it on his shoulder and down he goes. DRT. I was pumped! He weighed about 180. He made some mighty fine sausage yesterday that we processed ourselves.

Thanks for allowing me to share. I love hunting piggies!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 679

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Congrats!!!:cool:

Good looking pig!!!

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Nice one. That an SKS in the background? Good hog gun.

georgia_home

very nice!

bronco611

now the ice has been broken , the monkey is off yourback and you finally drew blood, go get smooooooo!!!! Nice hog!