New protein feeder build

Jim Boyd

Hey Folks!

Well, I must be a retard - I cannot figure out how to rotate these photos in this GON post - they are correct on my hard drive.

This is my latest feeder build - I think it will hold 225-250 pounds of feed.

Base is 48" square and roof is 6' from the ground.

I tried to design it wide open on the bottom so antlered bucks can get to the feed openings with no problems.

Wanted to keep the feed up off of the ground, also.

Will put this one out this weekend coming and test to make sure flow is ok, etc... and if yes, I have the materials to make another one.

We will end up running around 6 feeders on 500 acres to start and see where it goes from there.

Anxiously awaiting David's results for the ongoing feed test he is doing and will decide which feed to continue with.

Best of luck to all!

Jim @ Carolina Moon Hunt Club

Attachments

• pic1.JPG
    pic1.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,318
  • pic2.JPG
    pic2.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,359

Jim Boyd

Thank you GT!!!!!

davidhelmly

Hey Folks!

Well, I must be a retard - I cannot figure out how to rotate these photos in this GON post - they are correct on my hard drive.

I tried to design it wide open on the bottom so antlered bucks can get to the feed openings with no problems.

Will put this one out this weekend coming and test to make sure flow is ok, etc... and if yes, I have the materials to make another one.

We will end up running around 6 feeders on 500 acres to start and see where it goes from there.

Anxiously awaiting David's results for the ongoing feed test he is doing and will decide which feed to continue with.

Best of luck to all!

The feeders look good Jim! The results post is under construction. :cheers:

BornToHuntAndFish

Good job on the feeders. Looking forward to your trail cam pics so we can see photo captures of your whitetails using it.

Jim Boyd

Will start getting cams out ASAP and see what comes to the feeders - thanks!

mudram99

Man that is sweet.

lot's of good ideas implemented in that design. Better hurry up and patent that sucker before more fools like me build a few, I will try to skirt a lawsuit from you by making the base and top plate out of diamond plate the base turned upside down and a couple of 1/8" holes drilled in each depression. Also I will raise the bottom plate a little higher and weld a 4" skirt around the edge in opes of deterring hogs. Would like to add a 45 degree coupling to main pipe, which would then require a cap, but I could just back the mule up to it and fill easily. Looks like about 5' of pipe with coupling and slightly raised base will just about be the perfect height to refill easily and last quite a while. :clap:

Hey Folks!

Best of luck to all!

Last edited:

Jim Boyd

Thanks for the kind comments folks!

David - we are going to use Meadows Edge 21 - mixed with corn, at least to get them started. We have a vicious herd so I expect them to take right to it. My partner Keith is managing this feed for CMHC.

Mud - make as many as you want, sir!! Would love to see your final version. My pipe is 60" x 18" and the floor is 12" off the ground. No hogs so we are good there.

Best of luck to all!

Jim

j_seph

Jim, what is your frame made from

Jim Boyd

J Seph - welded EMT

THANKS!

techfire55

We put Jim's new feeder out this Saturday and this thing is very nice. Mr. Jim did a great job on this thing and looking forward to seeing the trail cam pics when the deer find it.

southerndraw

I really like that, no patent pending right? Really nice job, I think I'll try one.

Jim Boyd

I will get to check it this weekend.

With all this rain, it will be an excellent time to determine if the design was acceptable in terms of keeping food dry.

Best of luck to those that build AND feed.

Jim

Jim Boyd

No patents... Build away!!!

Thanks for the kind comments.