Stephen C Foster???

Yakman22

Hey guys, I’m going on a trip to Stephen C Foster to do some swamp fishing. Me and a couple buddies got a trip planned for Oct, one of the guys has been before and he said it’s amazing. I was just curious who has been and is there any advice you could share about the fishing, gators or just general need to know info. I’m amped about the trip! Thanks in advance

660griz

I am going back this month. The first time we went we took canoes. Gator chased a fish back to my brothers canoe. Gator hit the canoe so hard it almost tipped. We rent boats now. :)
It is an awesome place.

Possum

Banned
You’ll see hundreds and hundreds of gators. Canoeing was fun. My wife was freaked out at first but she got used to the gators and lost fear after a while.
I caught a couple bowfin but I didn’t realize there is no bass in there.

Yakman22

No Bass??? Are u serious? I didn’t know that! That kinda puts a damper on things. I would like to catch some bowfin, heard their pretty fun. Guess I need to do a little research

T-N-T

It's a trip that I recommend to everyone.
And it must be done in a yak or canoe.

T-N-T

Take bug spray. Don't forget it. Take it.

Ocmulgee44

I was fishing for warmouth in there one day back in the 80s . I was using a couple of cane poles with crawfish when I hung a big bowfin and a warmouth at the same time. The bowfin fell off in the back of my boat and I just let him flop around while I caught another warmouth or two. Finally went back to get the bowfin and it turned out to be a nice largemouth bass. Black as could be from the tannin I suppose. That is an interesting place for sure! Hope you have a great outing.

Artfuldodger

I was fishing for warmouth in there one day back in the 80s . I was using a couple of cane poles with crawfish when I hung a big bowfin and a warmouth at the same time. The bowfin fell off in the back of my boat and I just let him flop around while I caught another warmouth or two. Finally went back to get the bowfin and it turned out to be a nice largemouth bass. Black as could be from the tannin I suppose. That is an interesting place for sure! Hope you have a great outing.

We used to seine the ditches near Pearson before heading down to the swamp for crawfish. I've seen them for sale around Homerville as well.
We fished in Billy's Lake and Minnie's Lake and the channel in between.

Sometimes we would stay at Lem Griffis Fish Camp which is below the Suwannee River Sill. I think there are a few fish species in there that aren't in the swamp itself.

I assume the fish camp has RV hook-up now. We always stayed in a very primitive cabin. I found a few reviews of people camping here instead of Stephen Foster.

Advice, don't leave any food in your tent at Stephen Foster but that's good advice for any campground. Maybe fish along the sill. Try crawfish.

If I ever do a trip it will be in a canoe or kayak.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...-Reviews-Griffis_Fish_Camp-Fargo_Georgia.html

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
going down the last of May for a couple nights. Dylan and I are planning to rent a boat and fishing the Suwanee River and going up to Billy's Island.

Back in the 70's I caught bass outta the swamp, so I don't know where they are saying there aren't bass in the swamp. Unless they have all died out.

Artfuldodger

going down the last of May for a couple nights. Dylan and I are planning to rent a boat and fishing the Suwanee River and going up to Billy's Island.

Back in the 70's I caught bass outta the swamp, so I don't know where they are saying there aren't bass in the swamp. Unless they have all died out.

I read it was due to the high PH of the water. I'm sure there are some.
Hope ya'll have a good time.

jspeaks

Took my kids & Gheenoe to Stephen C Foster in April 2015

I took my kids to Stephen C Foster back in April 2015. It was a very enjoyable trip. Rented a kayak for the boys, but they quickly tired of paddling. My daughter & I zoomed around w/ 4hp on Gheenoe up and down the river. We caught some bream, saw tons of alligators UP CLOSE, observed beautiful areas all over. Also saw tons of wildlife and the clear nights saw billions of stars while camping. Deer walking in woods behind campground scared the heck out of us. Thought a big gator was sneaking up on us. It's a great trip.

Attachments

• okeefenokeewboat.jpg
    okeefenokeewboat.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 421
  • okeefenokeekids.jpg
    okeefenokeekids.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 420
  • alligatorclosetoboat.jpg
    alligatorclosetoboat.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 423

leftystar

I went for the first time last Saturday. Took us a while to figure it out. Party behind us was fishing with yellow sallys and caught more than us. we had worms. If you catch a fish get him in the boat. Beautiful place. Fun to let a rooster tails or some kind of bladed bait troll behind you.