Electric fence for garden

Ugahunter2013

I just bought a “American Farm Works” 30 mile AC powered electric fence controller from TSC. It has 1.2 output joules and 1.6 stored joules. My garden is roughly 1/4 acre , 60yds x 25yds. Will this have the power to get a deers attention? It lists all sorts of animals on the package including an “exotic animal” which looks to be some sort of deer species. From what i read the joules are the key. Before i use it i just wanted to see what everybody else uses. Thanks

Yes, you should be good. The key is to make sure it is grounded the right way. Get a good grounding rod, and put it in the wettest soil you have.

Killdee

I have often been told to put aluminum foil strips every 3’ or so and smear peanut butter on them. This will attract them to lick it and get a real good shock. Otherwise they will just jump it.

Forest Grump

1 joule is plenty. I wish they would have stayed with Zareba. Be sure to use the system popularized by Gallagher using the three strand system, outer tape, inner 2 strands of wire, & KEEP IT HOT. Deer will learn from others being shocked, but don’t seem to learn from one that jumps it...:huh:

Twist the outer tape, & leave a little space between the cover & the fence. You don’t need peanut butter, deer are curious by nature, but they are really fast learners... 8000 volts + a wet nose is an unpleasant combination.:hair:

Ugahunter2013

I bought the 17 ga wire per the TSC employees rec. I am looking to have 2 strands with a handle on the top strand so i can take it down when i go in. I am not positive how to wire the whole set up. I know how to do the top strand but how do i join the bottom strand to it? I have a grounding rod that is probably 4 ft long steel. I assume that will be enough for my size fence?

Forest Grump the only reason i say 2 strands is im not sure i have enough post for 3 strands? My post are probably 5 ft T post (out of the ground)

Forest Grump

I bought the 17 ga wire per the TSC employees rec. I am looking to have 2 strands with a handle on the top strand so i can take it down when i go in. I am not positive how to wire the whole set up. I know how to do the top strand but how do i join the bottom strand to it? I have a grounding rod that is probably 4 ft long steel. I assume that will be enough for my size fence?

Forest Grump the only reason i say 2 strands is im not sure i have enough post for 3 strands? My post are probably 5 ft T post (out of the ground)

We had some good threads on this, but most have had the photos deleted (like TP's); below are some how-to's from you-tube:

treemanjohn

Banned
Are you going to make it permanent? Also I assume that your garden is in Vidalia. You'll want to mix in a couple of ground wires in the fence because if it's really dry hoofed animals might not ground as well or at all so the fence will not snap them

Just use coated copper jumpers to carry juice to each hot wire. I personally drove 3 ground rods about 10 feet apart and connected them on my electric fence

Ugahunter2013

Well i guess ill add a few more and make sure inget 6ft. The one i have could be 6ft i just cant remember and there aint not digging it up