Sons pigmy/dwarf whatever tom

sman

I don't post much anymore but I've had a good season that ended quickly. My son however has been every weekend and we have missed a few and blown a few opportunities. One miss came Sat on this bird.
Sunday we decided to give it a try before church. The place the bird was at has been void of birds since opening week. I wasn't sure how long he might stay if he was still there. Daybreak brought silence and by 7 my 14yr old was getting a little restless. We dropped back into some small pines off the field edge where we could relax a little. He took it to another level and went to sleep. I was just giving some light clucks and yelps on an AGE Trumpet. Right after a set this bird stepped out at 40 headed right to us. Told my son don't move there he is. Of course my son didn't move. He was out like a light. I kicked him and handed his shotgun. He dropped him at 30. When we got to him, I realized something isn't right here. Beard was probably 8.5" and spurs close to an inch but his frame was tiny and he couldn't have weighed more than 10-12lbs. I've heard about birds like this. I am in the chicken business, you will see one runt in just about every house of 25,000 birds. I've just never seen a wild bird in person so small. Either way this bird got a giant monkey off our backs and I thank the good Lord for him.

Attachments

• AE1CA087-8AA0-4694-92E7-600E8D1D9EAD.jpg
    AE1CA087-8AA0-4694-92E7-600E8D1D9EAD.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 1,005

nick_o_demus

That's pretty neat. Ask for a discount at the taxidermist ;). LOL!

snuffy

Pretty bird.
Congratulations to you and your son!
I have had some I wish were that lite time I got them back to the truck.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Good hunt!!!! I like the part where you kicked him and handed him his shotgun!!!:rofl::rofl:
My son is 9 and he want's to go often and kill his 1st bird. Early season is good, he goes to bed at dark in March. May on the other hand, he goes to bed at dark, I get him up at 5, then he sleeps all mornin in the woods next to me!! :rofl:
CONGRATS Y'ALL!!!

Gaswamp

congrats to your son...good story to boot

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Congrats to your sleepy son. lol. Mine took a nap or two back in the day. Neat bird. I've seen jakes with full fans and tiny beards. I watched my son shoot a tom with an 11 1/2 beard 1 1/8 spurs that probably weighed 14 lbs with a strange gobble. Little Tom's need lead loving too.

wvdawg

Staff member
Congrats to you and the Big W! That is a pretty bird!

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Man that's a crazy size for a tom turkey. Pretty cool. Great way to spend a Sunday morning too. Congrats to your son.

The mtn man

I've ran into a few of those in the nc mountains , mostly in a place I hunted off the AT. Shot several 14 pounds and under.

Timberman

Mossy Head. Read "The Saga Of Gallberry Joe" by Gene Nunnery

Gaswamp

HAsn't happend this year but I luv me some BC dead gobblers

trkyhnt89

pretty cool, I killed one down here in Central florida about 4 years ago that size.

In a big river swamp, had a high pitched gobble was shocked how small he was when I got up to him.