Old hunting regulations

Things change. Even what is considered ethical. If I recall you are not a fan of baiting. In the early 90's a 223 was illegal for big game. The sport, the laws, and the ethics of fair chase have changed. I see these debates in the framework of my early education too, but it's just not that way anymore.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
If you find any old information on early Georgia Hunting Rules and Season dates, let me know, please.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The link just comes up "500 internal server error."

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
I've got old hunting regulations going back to the 60's. I am going to have to find them though. I've been looking this morning.

j_seph

That link was like trying to get a deer to eat soured corn, it doesn't work.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I've got old hunting regulations going back to the 60's. I am going to have to find them though. I've been looking this morning.

I'd really like to see those.

turkeykirk

Posted some old turkey hunting regulations I have in the Turkey forum.

as a teenager Hunting GA in the 60's
I recall around 1965 the regs forbid the use of several calibers
2 that stick in my mind are the .30cal carbine & .257 Roberts; and of course no caliber that started with .2
you could not use these to Hunt Deer

also, no Does, Buck only

baddave

as a teenager Hunting GA in the 60's
I recall around 1965 the regs forbid the use of several calibers
2 that stick in my mind are the .30cal carbine & .257 Roberts; and of course no caliber that started with .2
you could not use these to Hunt Deer

also, no Does, Buck only

yeah joey , i've been hunting deer in ga since the LATE 60's
but what i remember and some of these foodplotoligist might find interesting is a food plot just for deer was considered a baited field , but i don't remember buck only, you're a few years ahead of me .. i remember we had at least one doe day and I-20 would be packed , bumper to bumper traffic at 4:00 a.m.some great memories and wow what we have learned over the years and how it has evolved :cheers:

I stand correct on the Buck only as i do not recall the actual for the State

at that time ('62 - '68) I was hunting the Ft. Benning reservation (shotgun only then, 1 Buck limit); back then the Hogs outnumbered the Deer

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Things change. Even what is considered ethical. If I recall you are not a fan of baiting. In the early 90's a 223 was illegal for big game. The sport, the laws, and the ethics of fair chase have changed. I see these debates in the framework of my early education too, but it's just not that way anymore.

yep. I remember when if you shot a doe you were seen as a poacher--even if it was legal--because some people had been so protective of does for so long they couldn't imagine that times had changed and they NEEDED to be shot.

add in scopes on muzzleloaders, crossbows, etc.

things change.

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We just got Sunday hunting in NC a couple years ago. You still can't hunt between 9:30 and 12:30 on Sunday morning.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
We just got Sunday hunting in NC a couple years ago. You still can't hunt between 9:30 and 12:30 on Sunday morning.

Good grief. Let me guess -that was a political compromise. I bet the folks that support that holler for less government too

Rabun

With the exception of foxes, crows and coyotes you still can't hunt on Sunday's in PA. So in NC you can hunt on Sunday am but have to stop between 9:30-12:30? That's an interesting compromise.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Good grief. Let me guess -that was a political compromise. I bet the folks that support that holler for less government too

Everyone wants "less government" until it's time to do "less government" stuff.

Or word to that effect.:bounce:

one hogman

I started saving copies of the Hunting reg books i n 1991, I have every issue from then on, 27 years, wish I had started earlier but the ones I have are pristine, kinda neat to look thru them..