Trolling motor

61BelAir

After seeing pictures a couple years back, I finally decided to build a simple trolling motor mount for the FS12T this week. It consists of 4 u-bolts, an old 2x4 and some PVC pipe. At least that's what it should consist of - The 1 1/8" pipe I'd picked up was slightly too big to fit inside my rod holders so I used a couple of sink "down pipes" I think they were called. They aren't as heavy duty as I'd like, but I don't think they will ever be a problem and my poles still fit down in them. I used the only old 2x4 I could find at home. (Funny I thought I had a whole stack of them stored away.) Anyway I need to redo it with a longer board and add some weight to the opposite side to offset the motor weight. For now I compensated for it mostly with battery placement. I'm sure there are many ways that might be better, but I like the simplicity of this design. I made zero modifications to my kayak and I can just lift it right off any time I want.

So far I've taken it out twice and must say I wish I'd done it way back when. I'm only using it on private water and doubt I'll go through the trouble of registering it for the lake or river, but it's extremely nice when you're time limited and all the fish seem to be 1/2 mile away. Also I am not trying to run the trolling motor while fishing down a bank. I'm just using it to go from one major area to another.

The pictures below are not my own, but they are the exact ones I'd seen that inspired me.

Attachments

• 5udabage.jpg
    5udabage.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 325
  • bytegy4u.jpg
    bytegy4u.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 326
  • yvu7e3yd.jpg
    yvu7e3yd.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 321

Bream Pole

I have a vintage 10 lb thrust minn kota I use on my kayak. It weighs nothing. I shortened the shaft. Works great.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
At least in TN years ago when I wanted to put a motor on mine I was told that with a motor I had to register it and put a number on it. Probably never get caught but food for thought. Don't know if that is the law in GA.

61BelAir

I have a vintage 10 lb thrust minn kota I use on my kayak. It weighs nothing. I shortened the shaft. Works great.

I would need to do something like that if I were going to use it a lot and register it. This is a 45 pound thrust off the john boat. It will scoot me along at just over 4 mph.

At least in TN years ago when I wanted to put a motor on mine I was told that with a motor I had to register it and put a number on it. Probably never get caught but food for thought. Don't know if that is the law in GA.

Here in Ga. you have to register any boat that is mechanically propelled for use on public waters. That includes kayaks and trolling motors even under 12' ones. I'm just using the motor on a private lake.

Good idea,,,, any control problems being on the side?

Without the counterweight on the other side it is slightly unbalanced, but I can still stand and fish without a problem. (When it's not running of course.) Just the added weight of the motor and battery in general is a bigger issue. It sits the kayak deeper in the back so that a couple of inches of water comes through the scupper holes and stays. There was enough under my seat that my butt got wet too. I am probably going to cut a longer board and drill it for the wider FS128T. The top deck is higher on it so the weight shouldn't be an issue. Lord knows we had it loaded down far beyond it's 350 lb rating for our river camping trip and it was fine.

The motor on the side does take some use to with steering as well. Nothing you can't adjust to within a few minutes. I have seen people mount them on the back and make them cable steer with separate cables for L/R, but I don't want to start drilling any holes or spending a lot of money.

hopper

I like it, I put one on the canoe up front foot control. I hate paddling and fish way more water know.

Cmp1

BANNED
I would need to do something like that if I were going to use it a lot and register it. This is a 45 pound thrust off the john boat. It will scoot me along at just over 4 mph.

Here in Ga. you have to register any boat that is mechanically propelled for use on public waters. That includes kayaks and trolling motors even under 12' ones. I'm just using the motor on a private lake.

Without the counterweight on the other side it is slightly unbalanced, but I can still stand and fish without a problem. (When it's not running of course.) Just the added weight of the motor and battery in general is a bigger issue. It sits the kayak deeper in the back so that a couple of inches of water comes through the scupper holes and stays. There was enough under my seat that my butt got wet too. I am probably going to cut a longer board and drill it for the wider FS128T. The top deck is higher on it so the weight shouldn't be an issue. Lord knows we had it loaded down far beyond it's 350 lb rating for our river camping trip and it was fine.

The motor on the side does take some use to with steering as well. Nothing you can't adjust to within a few minutes. I have seen people mount them on the back and make them cable steer with separate cables for L/R, but I don't want to start drilling any holes or spending a lot of money.

Do you think it would work in river current? I can't paddle because of my back,,,the current isn't too bad,,,,

leoparddog

Mine can push me up river on the Hooch - at least on the 3 or 4 times I've fished the Hooch with it. It might not work every day though.

I bought a mushroom anchor and rigged a hook on the 2x4 for it to ride on opposite of the motor to balance out the kayak. It keeps the anchor handy and out of the way.

hopper

Mine can push me up river on the Hooch - at least on the 3 or 4 times I've fished the Hooch with it. It might not work every day though.

I bought a mushroom anchor and rigged a hook on the 2x4 for it to ride on opposite of the motor to balance out the kayak. It keeps the anchor handy and out of the way.[/QUOTE8]
Were are you able to track up creek on the hooch with trolling motor only? And what is your set up?