Frozen Fish

oops1

Buzzard Expert
Absolutely.. If you freeze King or spanish or any other oily fish.. It's hard to eat Once thawed. I only eat crappie for fresh water fish and havnt seen where fresh or frozen changes taste.. That being said.. Bass or bream out of a 97 degree ..muddy pond taste like mud to me ..whether they were frozen or not. Hope this helps.

Quackmasterofgeorgia

Absolutely.. If you freeze King or spanish or any other oily fish.. It's hard to eat Once thawed. I only eat crappie for fresh water fish and havnt seen where fresh or frozen changes taste.. That being said.. Bass or bream out of a 97 degree ..muddy pond taste like mud to me ..whether they were frozen or not. Hope this helps.

I agree on oily fish. I also believe that the colder the water, the better the taste, really the only muddy tasting fish I've had was bullheads out of a hayfield pond.

Josh B

What about frozen cut bait? People swear that cut bait fresh will out fish frozen. So I guess fish can taste the difference. I dont think I can tell the difference though. Battered and fried.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Most freshwater fish freeze well, provided you do it right, even trout. They aren't quite as good as fresh and wiggling, but they are still delicious. The vacuum sealer is definitely the only way to go.

Quackmasterofgeorgia

What about frozen cut bait? People swear that cut bait fresh will out fish frozen. So I guess fish can taste the difference. I dont think I can tell the difference though. Battered and fried.
Fresh has more blood flowing out of it, but frozen will work and is sometimes just as good as fresh.