Upcoming trip to Helen, GA

Oldstick

I have similar sentiments about Helen as others above. Goes double for Gatlinburg and Cherokee.

However if it's warm enough and you get a break in the weather I think the tubing in Helen is a great activity for you and the kids. Not sure about a 4 year old, but you could probably have a life vest on them and rope their tube securely to an adult's. Not real deep most of the way.

Dialer

Take ear muffs for the kids. Unfortunately there are grown men that fall short in other departments in their life that require obnoxiously "LOOK AT ME" loud pipes on their motorcycles. They have no regard for the elderly or the young who are simply trying to enjoy their time there. Rev it up so they can show everybody how cool they are. Biggest butt holes in the world if ya ask me. I would consider going somewhere else with the kids.

Yes sir. One thing that bugs me is the fact that it appears that in order to keep a Harley running you have to rev it to redline while in neutral and sitting still in traffic. In between them buildings all it does is echo to the sidewalk.

Timberman

The last time I was there I went inside a big tent and they gave me one of these that I could refill over and over. My wife and kids took off and checked in with me every hour or two. I had a great time. Good scenery too.

Attachments

• boot-e1423613492158.jpg
    boot-e1423613492158.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 138

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
That's the best advice anyone could give you. I swear, in 40 years of living in close proximity of it, I've never once seen anything appealing about Helen.

You can get to Smithgall woods via Cleveland and totally avoid Helen. I go around every time.

PappyHoel

All 5 million people in Atlanta go to Helen (and thereabouts) to get away from all the people in Atlanta. They go to look at nature in its natural habitat.

Joking aside, bring your trout pole. Lots of good trout fishing around.

The mtn man

You can get to Smithgall woods via Cleveland and totally avoid Helen. I go around every time.

Yep, asbestos road gets a lot of traffic for that reason, avoiding the trap.