Need rod/reel recommendations.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
That's a great deal on a good reel! As for picking which one, just match the fly line weight on the reel chart to your rod weight-for example, if you have a 3-wt rod, you want the 1-4 reel, or with a 5 wt rod, you want the 5-6.

A 7-8 reel on a 3 wt rod would be way too big and heavy and unbalanced, and vice-versa. All the other stuff you don't need to worry about-it's fixed with whichever size reel you get, and should match your rod.

Thanks Brother. That takes care of rod and reel. What about line and leaders. Can you make a recommendation. Would be nice to order it all at once.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Brother. That takes care of rod and reel. What about line and leaders. Can you make a recommendation. Would be nice to order it all at once.

In that case, I'd just get one of the combos-you get matching rod, reel, backing, and line, and usually save a bunch of money in the process. Any of the Cabelas prestige combos or the Redington combos are good.
Bass and bream aren't usually line shy as trout, so I'd just get a couple-three tapered leader in about 7-foot 3x. Once you tie that tapered leader on, you can add tippet as it wears down. I will use a tapered leader butt for two or three years sometimes, and just keep rebuilding it with tippet.

Tentwing

SemperFiDawg;

Thanks for the heads up on the reel. I think I will follow my own advise. My two youngest grandsons are gonna soon need rods and reels of their own. I'm going to get two of those reels and match them up with two of the Redington Classic Trout fly rods.

My first Redington CT was taken away by my wife after she used it once after forgetting her own rod on a trip to the White River in Arkansas a few years back. My second wound up in the possession of my oldest grandson after an afternoon of bream busting. I am now on my third one. I have an 8 1/2 foot 4 weight that is my " leave it in the truck rod". I fish bamboo most of the time, but that Redington gets a fair amount of my stream time.

I hope you and your son have as much fun as me and my grandsons. Tentwing

Olddawg

Tackle rec

You can have more success faster, if you take a ff101 class and especially if you get casting lessons. Contact any Of the local fly shops.

SemperFiDawg

You can have more success faster, if you take a ff101 class and especially if you get casting lessons. Contact any Of the local fly shops.

Thanks. Not aware of any fly shops in central Georgia. Fly fishing doesn’t hold the mystique down here it does in the mountains.

yaknfish

Lessons are great if you can find them. You can get some good demos and tips from videos, too. Mel Krieger got me started. Lefty Kreh is a great one to watch, too. Several on Youtube.

SemperFiDawg

Lessons are great if you can find them. You can get some good demos and tips from videos, too. Mel Krieger got me started. Lefty Kreh is a great one to watch, too. Several on Youtube.

Tks

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
Thanks. Not aware of any fly shops in central Georgia. Fly fishing doesn’t hold the mystique down here it does in the mountains.

There used to be an Orvis school at Callaway Gardens, not sure if it still there.