Advice on employee recruitment and pay

Possum

Banned
You advertise starting pay at $12 an hour but demand a Resume.

The GAP clothing store starts teenagers with absolutely zero experience and NO resume at $10 an hour and it goes up from there with time in job, for basically operating a cash register and folding cloths.

If you still think what myself and Steeleagle have told you are not relevant to your way of doing things then all I have left is to wish you luck. You're gonna need it.

There’s been some great advice in this thread but also some bad advice.
I took advice from some and changed starting pay to $14 an hour. I changed wording in the job posting and I found some places I had not thought of to look for recruits.
But your advice of lowering my company’s employee standards ain’t happening. I don’t hire illegals, druggies or incompetent people. We have an awesome place to work and I’d rather be shorthanded and booked out than have to deal with bums.
Thanks anyways.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
There’s been some great advice in this thread but also some bad advice.
I took advice from some and changed starting pay to $14 an hour. I changed wording in the job posting and I found some places I had not thought of to look for recruits.
But your advice of lowering my company’s employee standards ain’t happening. I don’t hire illegals, druggies or incompetent people. We have an awesome place to work and I’d rather be shorthanded and booked out than have to deal with bums.
Thanks anyways.

I gave you no such advice. Sorry your box doesn't allow you to see the world outside of it and what I was referring to.

Just because an able bodied employee does not approach your fortune 500 company with a resume does not qualify them as all of the negative labels you just made up in your mind.

Again, Good Luck, you're seriously going to need it moving forward, especially as urban sprawl rapidly approaches Clarksville and competitors that are not constrained by your lack of foresight and understanding of the current job market move in and take over your client base.

PS: Elon Musk, CEO of SpaceX has been listed the top place to work 2 years in a row now and is a cutting edge company. He requires you to fill out a job app, if you have a resume that is fine, but not a deal breaker nor is a college degree needed, but above all he requires potential prospects to have three things "Passion, Drive and Talent" and those things are only discovered via the interview process of the willing candidate.

Possum

Banned
I gave you no such advice. Sorry your box doesn't allow you to see the world outside of it and what I was referring to.

Just because an able bodied employee does not approach your fortune 500 company with a resume does not qualify them as all of the negative labels you just made up in your mind.

Again, Good Luck, you're seriously going to need it moving forward, especially as urban sprawl rapidly approaches Clarksville and competitors that are not constrained by your lack of foresight and understanding of the current job market move in and take over your client base.

PS: Elon Musk, CEO of SpaceX has been listed the top place to work 2 years in a row now and is a cutting edge company. He requires you to fill out a job app, if you have a resume that is fine, but not a deal breaker nor is a college degree needed, but above all he requires potential prospects to have three things "Passion, Drive and Talent" and those things are only discovered via the interview process of the willing candidate.

I’ll send the guys who won’t make a resume to go apply at spaceX then

Possum

Banned
Miguel, if filling out a simple resume is too difficult for someone and they can do it, how would they be filling out reports, proposals, etc? Why on earth would I want someone like that! If it’s a requirement of the job and they refuse to do it, what else are they going to refuse to do if they are hired!
I’m am not one bit concerned about competition. I put most all my competition out of business and my employees are the main reason for that. Read our reviews and see the comments customers give my people. You don’t get reviews like that without good people. Yes, I am picky about who I bring onto this team and yes it has been frustrating finding more good people but I’m not going to settle for an applicant who won’t do the first simple task they are asked to do, which is send me a resume.

tree cutter 08

What if you bumped it up to 20 or 25 a hr but required some experience. I think you might find what your looking for. It's going to be hard to find a young hand nowadays that's going to be good, I know because they are not out there. If their is, they are like you or already have a good job. I decided to keep my little outfit small and simple for the very reason what you are going through now.

NOYDB

BANNED
What does the job require? What do they have to do to make the customer satisfied? Does providing a resume make for satisfied customers? Are you wanting them to satisfy customers?

Or you?

First jobs out of high school and college I didn't have a resume. Later I did when needed. But after that, several jobs I got by referral.

Possum

Banned
What if you bumped it up to 20 or 25 a hr but required some experience. I think you might find what your looking for. It's going to be hard to find a young hand nowadays that's going to be good, I know because they are not out there. If their is, they are like you or already have a good job. I decided to keep my little outfit small and simple for the very reason what you are going through now.

$14 is starting pay for a person with no experience. I would start the someone with masonry, chimney, or sales experience out higher.
And if you take my guys pay and add in their bonuses and commissions, none of them make any less than $20-$25 per hour. A couple of them were hired a little less than 2 years ago with no experience and they were started out at $10-$12 hr.

Possum

Banned
What does the job require? What do they have to do to make the customer satisfied? Does providing a resume make for satisfied customers? Are you wanting them to satisfy customers?

Or you?

First jobs out of high school and college I didn't have a resume. Later I did when needed. But after that, several jobs I got by referral.

You don’t understand. A person with a nice, well worded resume and cover letter tells me they are serious and want a job.
A person without a resume tells me they are hiding something or lazy.
If someone tells me they have no resume I will ask if they can make one. If they say yes and follow through, they are considered. But most don’t ever call back. I guess they found jobs at companies like spaceX?

If you had an 18yr old son and he was entering the job field, wouldn’t you advise him to make some kind of resume and cover letter? I hope you would because it’s not just me, all business owners are going to want that and even if not required somewhere, it’s still a big advantage over other applicants.

It takes 30mins to do and to answer your question an employees job is not just to satisfy our customers but to follow instructions. If they don’t follow instructions people can die. So if they can’t follow one, very easy instruction (send resume) I don’t believe they will follow all the other instructions on the job.

RUTTNBUCK

Gone But Not Forgotten
You don’t understand. A person with a nice, well worded resume and cover letter tells me they are serious and want a job.
A person without a resume tells me they are hiding something or lazy.
If someone tells me they have no resume I will ask if they can make one. If they say yes and follow through, they are considered. But most don’t ever call back. I guess they found jobs at companies like spaceX?

If you had an 18yr old son and he was entering the job field, wouldn’t you advise him to make some kind of resume and cover letter? I hope you would because it’s not just me, all business owners are going to want that and even if not required somewhere, it’s still a big advantage over other applicants.

It takes 30mins to do and to answer your question an employees job is not just to satisfy our customers but to follow instructions. If they don’t follow instructions people can die. So if they can’t follow one, very easy instruction (send resume) I don’t believe they will follow all the other instructions on the job.
I understand your position, but you may have to relax some of your standards for the person you are looking for!!........Sounds to me the candidate you are looking for will be a young person looking to better them selves, and they may not know the Importance of a resume!!.........You may be missing some true gems in your eyes!!

I would consider you for employment if I didn't have to swing off a chimney.....I could sell your business, but I'm not working in the weather, and hanging from what ever keeps a chimney sweep from hitting the ground!!

Possum

Banned
Finished up with my interviews this morning and just hired two great guys. Both are exited about starting here.
One is ex military and very experienced with plumbing and carpentry. Clean cut and very friendly. The other is a young boy would went to tech school and couldn’t find a job in that field so he went to work for a county road department.
We are exited to bring these two gentlemen on board and I know they are going to do very well here.
We will still need one or two more full time employees by fall so if anyone knows anyone looking for a great job they will love, send them our way.

PappyHoel

Here is another example of the sales numbers I was talking about. We are about to submit a $100,000 + proposal to replace all the fireplaces in a condominium complex. It’s a promising proposal. If closed, it could have been a $30,000+ commission if an employee of mine had called on them instead of me.
My employees prefer that I provide them the leads and they get the 5% bonus for closing the sale. But they missed out on half a year’s income by not making that one phone call.

Have you brought this to their attention? Next time say they get a NEW car or truck if they find a sale like that. New car or truck might get their attention? :huh:

PappyHoel

$14 is starting pay for a person with no experience. I would start the someone with masonry, chimney, or sales experience out higher.
And if you take my guys pay and add in their bonuses and commissions, none of them make any less than $20-$25 per hour. A couple of them were hired a little less than 2 years ago with no experience and they were started out at $10-$12 hr.

I read most but not all posts. Have you thought about recruiting at the local High Schools? You might find some good talent there?

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Finished up with my interviews this morning and just hired two great guys. Both are exited about starting here.
One is ex military and very experienced with plumbing and carpentry. Clean cut and very friendly. The other is a young boy would went to tech school and couldn’t find a job in that field so he went to work for a county road department.
We are exited to bring these two gentlemen on board and I know they are going to do very well here.
We will still need one or two more full time employees by fall so if anyone knows anyone looking for a great job they will love, send them our way.
Well, for someone that requires a "Resume" and the staunch standards that come with it, I recommend you get more "excited" about your new employees lest they become "exited" within short order and you have to look further to replace them. ::ke:::ke:::ke::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Possum

Banned
Well, for someone that requires a "Resume" and the staunch standards that come with it, I recommend you get more "excited" about your new employees lest they become "exited" within short order and you have to look further to replace them. ::ke:::ke:::ke::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Haha, I got a tiny iPhone 5 and trying to do 3 things at once at work. Give me a break

Possum

Banned
I read most but not all posts. Have you thought about recruiting at the local High Schools? You might find some good talent there?

Yes we’ve messaged the counselors at high schools and the career placement coordinator at NGA tech. Didn’t get anything from there.

Possum

Banned
Have you brought this to their attention? Next time say they get a NEW car or truck if they find a sale like that. New car or truck might get their attention? :huh:

My immediate problem has been not enough people to do the work we are currently selling. Now that we have some new guys starting I can go back and push my guys to sell more. We have contests and other fun things on top of thier pay. This year if we hit our sales goal, which I think we are, I am taking my whole company and thier families on a Bahamas cruise.

Possum

Banned

As I said, I only have an eight grade education. Sorry. As dumb as I may be, I’d still have an impressive resume if I was wanting a job somewhere.

Artfuldodger

I'm a pro-resume kind of guy. If I owned a septic tank cleaning company the "dipper man" better have a resume.
Then I'd be like Admiral Rickover during the job interviews. That would be fun!