hawken with iron sights

TreeFrog

I shoot the CVA St. Louis Hawken with iron sights. It's got all the brass work (trigger guard, patch box, forend tip, etc.) but I love to shoot it. I would eventually like to get one of those long brass scopes for it since they're legal now.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I use em. Huntin`, shootin`, and just for the pure fun of em.

nhancedsvt

Banned
where can you get the long brass scopes from? my dad said he wanted one and that may be a nice christmas present.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I shoot a couple of Hawken like rifles. I have a partiality for short rifles. I have a TC Grey Hawk and a TC Tree Hawk, both open sites in 50 cal. Musket caps insure good fire. I do black powder season with first one then the other. They are deadly to hunt with and great fun at the range and plinking with round balls.

Gunpowder

Shot a TC Hawken for years(since 1976) - changed sights to Williams peep rear - and blade front. Use a 6 o'clock hold and you can see where the bullet will hit. TC 370 gr maxi-ball in front of 100 grs Pyrodex - #11 cap - kinda kicks though. Worked for me - shot through every deer I killed with it.

leoparddog

where can you get the long brass scopes from? my dad said he wanted one and that may be a nice christmas present.

Not cheap, but you can start looking here.
http://cwsutler.hypermart.net/BCA_Scope.html

Looks like they start about $250

I've been shooting a Hawken style rifle since the late 80's. PRBalls rule!
Put two Patched Round Balls on top of each other with 80gr of FF for the double the fun.

iowa-boy

i have had my TC hawken for right around 25 years. i did change the front iron sight for one of the fiber optic fronts due to eyesight.

weagle

When they first instituted the extra season for muzzle loaders I went out and bought an inline and after a couple of successful seasons using it, I upgraded to a TC Hawken .50 :banana: The inline was plenty effective, but the Hawken is just more fun to shoot and hunt with.

Weagle

108876500.jpg

tv_racin_fan

Jack why do you hate to clean it? I prefer cleanin my BP firearms over my smokeless firearms. I have a two liter coke bottle with the top cut off and I generally put a bit of dish washing liquid in the bottom and fill it with hot water and clean em in the bath tub and then rub em down with bore butter. Being an ex army guy I clean my guns more than once and the second and third trips I use TC #13 or some other modern BP solvent and season with bore butter or crisco.

I built a CVA Hawkenish firearm back in the early 80's. Got some home brewed stuff to brown the barrel and really liked that rifle. Dang kid that lived nearby stole it and I never got it back. Few years back I got a Traditions Deerhunter flintlock, it's kinda Hawkenish as well. I will be aquiring a much better rifle when I can afford it but I have ever intention of killing a few deer with what I have. Got my son a CVA Bobcat, and even tho it is a rather cheapish cap and ball rifle I imagine it will do the job.

snuffy

Hawkens

Like Weagle said they are just more fun to shoot.
I have an inline but hunt with these.

Attachments

• musket 001 (640 x 480).jpg
    musket 001 (640 x 480).jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 2,082

jglenn

never could figure out why folks like the modern front loaders...trandition is everything when your hunting with a smoke stack..

Had a TC Hawken made from a kit for years..... no scope... no fancy primers...no failures on deer

Last edited:

parolebear

I have a Traditions Fox River Fifty, sold by Gander Mtn many years ago for $49.99. It is fixed sight and at 35-40 yds I can split hairs. I hunt with round ball and black powder, standard caps. It has killed 4 deer in 4 shots and never missed. I did have a misfire but it was because I was too sorry to pop a cap that morning before the hunt (user error).

I have had inlines and high dollar cap guns but I always go back to my real cheap, real light standby. I love my iron sighted basic gun. I am getting so old that I have trouble with the old small iron sights and may be forced to move to fiber optics but an fighting it this year. Have not hunted in about 8 years but plan to be there this year. Got the Traditions out the other day and it never failed.

Hawken2222

I have a TC hawken 50 cal. It is the only blackpowder gun I have ever owned. It is also extremely accurate, and had put more than a few deer in the freezer.
There is something special about walking through the woods with one of these type guns.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Cleaning is no problem at all for mine. I knock out the wedge, take out the nipple immerse the breach end in a 5 gal bucket of warm soapy water and have at it for a while pumping the water out the muzzle. Clean the touch hole and the nipple, lube it up and drive the wedge back in. Really it is easier than my modern rifles.
I just love these things.

GAbuckhunter88

My dad and I both shoot them, I started when i was about 13 and never even considered an inline. I love my TC hawkins