ID this point please

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
I don't know squat about points and am the worlds worst at finding them, but this one jumped right out at me today on the job site.

Not a rock we have growing around here so I'm guessing white flint or chert???

Is it a Hopewell point? It measures about 1 1/2" long.

Attachments

• point.jpg
    point.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 1,249
  • point2.jpg
    point2.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 1,246
  • point3.jpg
    point3.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 1,282

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If I found it around here, I'd call it a Kirk Corner-notched. It looks like it had some deep notches with a little bit of dogleg like a Lost Lake, but it doesn't have any beveling.

It looks like it never had the final sharpening done on it, really.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Yea, I`d call it a Kirk. Would have been a nice one too. Material looks like a light Coastal Plains Chert.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thank ya gentlemen. And Hillbilly, don't let that nice serrated edge fool you. It'll cut. :smash:

Oh, I'm sure it will. It would cut a lot better with some more work, though. I hunt with those things and have spent a lot of time figuring out the best way to sharpen them. I usually end up with tiny micro-serrations.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Oh, I'm sure it will. It would cut a lot better with some more work, though. I hunt with those things and have spent a lot of time figuring out the best way to sharpen them. I usually end up with tiny micro-serrations.
I've watched Nic make points, and I still don't see a rock the way he does when he goes to knappin. I just end up with a pile of flakes.

Too bad you broke it.....

:rofl::p

Found it that way, but thanks for trying to hang with the grown ups. Keep trying.

Any idea what period this point would be from ?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If it's Kirk, what Bucky T said. Early Archaic.

apoint

Yep it's a Kirk made of coastal plains chert. Not much of that kind of chert in Bethlehem/Loganville area. Better go back to where you found it and look for some more. Was there water in the area?

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Yep it's a Kirk made of coastal plains chert. Not much of that kind of chert in Bethlehem/Loganville area. Better go back to where you found it and look for some more. Was there water in the area?

Very little on the exact location. There was about 1/4 or so mile away though.

apoint

Try hunting the closest hill by the water.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Seriously, dang shame it's broke.. But a great find anyway! Chert and flint points found in the piedmont are always great finds.

dutchman

Sorry, it's my first time in the primitive skills section. I wasn't aware that childish drivel was allowed in here too. :rolleyes:

I promise not to make that mistake again.

Scooter, that sort of thing is a part of you showing up. It comes along with you, evidently...