Can a 410 kill a turkey: Updated with pattern

Theduckhunter13

Ok so I went out and shot the 410 today and patterned it. I shot it at 10, 15, 20, and 25 yards. I shot 2 times at all 4 distances. My 10 inch circles are not perfect but are +/- an 1/8th of an inch of 10 inches in any direction. I could have shifted the circle probably a little bit and picked up 1 to 3 pellets but I think I have a good idea of my limitations. 25 yards is a shot in the dark in my opinion. With only 23 pellets in a 10 inch circle I wouldn't take a shot at this far. 20 yards had 37 pellets in the circle and could kill a bird but would have to still be hit just right. 15 yards had 81pellets and is plenty enough to kill a bird. 10 yards had 141 pellets and would obviously kill a bird. There was a big change from 15 to 20 yards so im thinking anything about 17/18 yards and in is fair game and stands a good chance of getting rolled. The trick will be getting a bird inside 20 yards......I've had it happen many times before though so I think give it all season and have some patience and it can be done.

Attachments

• 25yrds.jpg
    25yrds.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 876
  • 20yrds2.jpg
    20yrds2.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 842
  • 15yrds2.jpg
    15yrds2.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 890
  • 10yrds.jpg
    10yrds.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 894

Gadget

I agree with your assessment, 20yds MAX. What load you shooting?

Since you are so limited by the pattern, I would probably drop down to 7 1/2 lead, will give you the extra pellets to probably extend your killing pattern to 25yd, while at the same time still having enough energy to kill to about 30 yds.

Last edited:
Shooting that at a turkey at 20 yards would be a mistake in a big way. A couple clusters of pellets in a 10 inch circle doesn't scream dead turkey to me. So many holes in that pattern that a bird would easily live to die later from infection. I'd hesitate to use that load on a pheasant much beyond 20 yards its so full of gaps.

Seems funny that a guy that would curse lead 12 gauge loads would support a 410.

hawglips

Banned
That pattern is not good enough at 20 yds, IMO. I wouldn't do it. Not worth the risk. 15 yds would be my max with that load.

If you want to get out to 20 yds, you need to up the pellet count significantly. I'd drop down in size to 7-1/2s and keep it to 20 and in AFTER I determined for sure that I had a lot closer to 100 in the 10" at that ranges.

01Foreman400

Staff member
It's easy to misjudge yardage and you have no room for error in this case. We won't hold it against you if you use a bigger gun.

I agree with your assesment, 15 yds and in with the misjudge fudge factor of 2-3.

Best to you and enjoy his breath.

Now that is the norm when it come to 410 patterns...

Like I said before... "a 410 is not a turkey gun"

I like the pattern someone posted of there 410 at 40 yards... Looked like there was 90% in a 10" circle... Ok I'm believing that...

dtala

"a .410 is not a turkey gun"........dang, the bird I killed would disagree with you on what makes a turkey gun.

your "definition" please...

troy

Theduckhunter13

Shooting that at a turkey at 20 yards would be a mistake in a big way. A couple clusters of pellets in a 10 inch circle doesn't scream dead turkey to me. So many holes in that pattern that a bird would easily live to die later from infection. I'd hesitate to use that load on a pheasant much beyond 20 yards its so full of gaps.

Seems funny that a guy that would curse lead 12 gauge loads would support a 410.

Ok umm I said that 20 would be risky and I probably wouldn't take it. 15 yards is a dead turkey any way you look at it! And when did I curse lead 12 gauge loads?? I mean I would rather shoot federal hvy's out of any shotgun but they dont make them for a 410 and I aint into reloading shotgun shells.... What does your master self think I should do???

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Shoot him at 15 yards, and you`ll be cleanin` a turkey.

BPR

That pattern really drops quick after 15. But my hat is off to you. Sounds like a very rewarding challenge to me.

Theduckhunter13

Thanks guys! I guess ill be waiting until I can count his eyelashes before I pull the trigger this year!! Should be fun trying at least!!!! And to all those people out there that think it wont work then Ill be sure to post the pics if it ever happens!!

kyhunter

I had a 7yr old boy kill a deer sitting on my lap a few years ago with a 4 10. I had no real ambition of the boy actually shooting at a deer before the hunt, but the opportunity arrose and he dropped it. I was shocked. The plan was to just take a kid hunting and he ended up with a deer.

jaymax

I shoot them all the time at 10 yrds with my bow...no big deal waitin'em out! ..cut his head off bro:cool: best of luck!

biggtruxx

If you can get the bird to come within 15 yards take him!