GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > On Topic -- Questions and Answers
Notices

Old 10-01-2017, 09:37 PM

I have lived in several regions and for me I think total electric is just fine if your in South Ga. Mid ga I would have Electric appliances and gas stove. North metro to North Ga I would have the same plus wood burning fireplace. My .02
Old 10-01-2017, 10:02 PM

I have everything gas in the house I could get, with wood burning fireplace for a backup.

When the power was out recently, we could still cook and had hot water. If she had needed to, my wife could have dried clothes too.

Gas is much more efficient too.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:22 PM

For heating, the heat pump is not that great. We disconnected ours and use fire logs for the main part of the house. Get a set with a thermostat. And we use small electric heaters for the bedroom. I did go with an electric water heater because of the rebates at the time, basically free because I installed myself. As far as the rest, you'll get faster and warmer heat with gas. Pros and cons for gas and electric is winter rates on gas, summer rates on electric. The advantage on gas is most companies will let you pre-pay in advance for gas. Usually late August is the lowest price here, so I fill up from my last pre-pay, and pre-pay for the next tank. I only use one tank per year. If I do happen to need the gas in the winter months when is high, I've already bought it a lot cheaper!
Old 10-10-2017, 10:42 AM

My dad built a house in a similar predicament on the utilities.

He chose:
- Electric range, oven, dryer and water heater
- Heat pump with propane back up when the temperature outside is 45 or below.

The main issue with heat pumps is that they stop working once below a certain temperature, so they need some sort of back up, either gas or electric strip heaters. Gas tends to be cheaper than electricity for this application and with it being the back up only, you'll only need it filled/topped off about once a year.