How far away can you kill a duck with steel shot?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

emusmacker

Hooked on Quack told me it was with a 22 rimfire

The Horned Toad

Which way is the duck flying?

diger79

We keep it under 35 yards..But perfer to shoot them when there toes touch the water..Seeing duck work a spread is the best... Heavy shot is good but still have to keep them close..We shoot mallards at 10 yards with #6 shot and drop them dead.We shoot hypersonic #2 (geese) normally and still keep it under 35 yards. Woodies smaller shot mallards over 10 yds get #2..Choke tubes range from factory IC to pattermaster extended range..

The Fever

I don't use a gun, just let them fly into you and catch them!!

Did you start doing that with the blindfold like I recommended? It gives them a fair chance. Lol

fishndinty

I don't use a gun, just let them fly into you and catch them!!

I have been wingslapped by a woodie once on a flyby....I seriously could have caught it by hand or with the butt of my shotgun as a bat. It was teal season.

fishndinty

We keep it under 35 yards..But perfer to shoot them when there toes touch the water..Seeing duck work a spread is the best... Heavy shot is good but still have to keep them close..We shoot mallards at 10 yards with #6 shot and drop them dead.We shoot hypersonic #2 (geese) normally and still keep it under 35 yards. Woodies smaller shot mallards over 10 yds get #2..Choke tubes range from factory IC to pattermaster extended range..

I love hypersonic #2. Great for every duck and goose, and I have never had pellets left in the meat...Clean passthroughs.

The Fever

I have been wingslapped by a woodie once on a flyby....I seriously could have caught it by hand or with the butt of my shotgun as a bat. It was teal season.

Dude, me and a buddy went one time and had blue bills so close I could have caught a limit twice with the butt of the gun. It's awesome having birds that close.

Jaker

Banned
oddly enough my highest percentage shot is about 40yds and crossing left or right. I don't know what it is, but I hit 9/10 birds I shoot at in those situations. Not saying I like that shot best, but for some reason I'm best at it.

fishndinty

oddly enough my highest percentage shot is about 40yds and crossing left or right. I don't know what it is, but I hit 9/10 birds I shoot at in those situations. Not saying I like that shot best, but for some reason I'm best at it.

Mine is 20-30 yards ON THE WATER:banana::rofl:

I also am good at the straight crossers and the ones coming in or going out vertical.

I struggle mightily with the overhead shots.

chet1725

I like to shoot as soon as I know they're ducks and not crows or something. If I wait too long to shoot at the birds, they are going to work into the other guys spread I set-up next to.:stir:

Barroll

Haha. I always wonder how many of y'all big talkers are the sky busters I watch when I forced to hunt in Georgia.

But on a serious note, some places you can shoot them in the face at 10-20yds in your decoys. Other times you arnt going to have those chances. They may just come by and take a look and keep flying and you are forced to make some 40+ yard shots. I don't prefer to do it, but killin is killin. I kill them when i can. Where I hunt in bays in louisiana it is often like that when hunting off shore.