Planting rice for waterfowl

cmorg

Looking into buying a duck swamp in NE Ga. Cannot really be drained, so planting corn, wheat, millet, etc. would not work. Has anyone tried to plant rice in a situation like this? How difficult is it to grow in this area? Will it reseed or does it have to be replanted each year? Any suggestions for other aquatic forage?

Looking into buying a duck swamp in NE Ga. Cannot really be drained, so planting corn, wheat, millet, etc. would not work. Has anyone tried to plant rice in a situation like this? How difficult is it to grow in this area? Will it reseed or does it have to be replanted each year? Any suggestions for other aquatic forage?

It's very difficult to grow, and it does not reseed.

Rice requires very specific growing conditions, and generally has to be planted in a drained area.

If it has water all year round, look at planting some aquatic vegetation such as smartweed.

Check with Adams Briscoe as a jumping off point. They have a lot of aquatic type seeds, and good info in their catalog.
http://www.abseed.com/

southGAlefty

Tough to grow but if you can get it to make a stand you will have ducks out the wazoo! We have been trying to plant rice for the ducks for the last 4 or 5 years and had one year where it worked. That year we had an 8 acre pond and there were at least 200 woodies coming to it every morning. It was absolutely ridiculous the number of ducks that year.

cmorg

twenty five ought six - Thanks for the info. Looked at the website. Looks like they have smartweed, rice, and wild rice. May try some combo of the three and see what comes up. Got to get my hands on the property first. Just trying to think ahead.

southgalefty - Did you plant wild rice or regular? Did you prep the area or just broadcast seed?

southGAlefty

We tilled, broadcasted seed/fertilized, then tilled under. Our rice comes from Stuttgart, AR but I'm not sure if its wild or regular

Bnew17 - I gave $21 for a 50lb bag this summer and its doing good, just need some water.

Laman

I grew seed rice in La. for years and yes rice can be sown in flooded situations but it success will depend on certain techniques and conditions. Send me a pm and we can go into deails.

bnew17

We tilled, broadcasted seed/fertilized, then tilled under. Our rice comes from Stuttgart, AR but I'm not sure if its wild or regular

Bnew17 - I gave $21 for a 50lb bag this summer and its doing good, just need some water.

good deal. precate the info... good luck with it!