2017 Kansas trip

nrh0011

This year dad and I made our annual trip out west, and decided to try our luck in Kansas after reading several bird reports which spoke of increased pheasant numbers and good quail hunting. I was very pleased with the opportunity of getting my old dog on some birds for what I'm afraid may be his last go round. He was able to point several coveys and few roosters. If it had been just one point and flush, the drive still would've been worth it to me.

Pheasant numbers still aren't what they used to be in my opinion, and the farmer we hunt on said they didn't get any CRP back in ford county. However, the quail numbers were great, one covey my dog pointed I swear had 40 birds in it. Saw several other coveys that had 15 plus birds.

Getting back to the loss of CRP, another interesting aspect is the large presence of wheat stubble. Any of you that frequent the midwest have seen it. Alot of these farmers out there are starting to combine wheat with stripper heads, leaving almost the entire stalk present after harvest These fallow fields can provide excellent brood habitat and cover as well. If a man had a big running pointer and wasn't afraid to walk, he could go out there and still do well in those types of operations, as long as feed was still nearby. Don't knock on my 11 year old lab for sitting flat on his butt. Ole boy was plum whooped after walking the dry corners of an 160 acre section.

Thankful for the experience and memories made.

Best,
nrh0011

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDRAW_thumb_47a7.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDRAW_thumb_47a7.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 522
  • UNADJUSTEDRAW_thumb_47c5.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDRAW_thumb_47c5.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 522
  • UNADJUSTEDRAW_thumb_47dd.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDRAW_thumb_47dd.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 523
  • 20171119_090803.jpg
    20171119_090803.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 521
  • 20171121_110519.jpg
    20171121_110519.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 522

Maydog

Looks like an awesome trip. Great that you are making memories with your dad and making sure your dog gets to do what he loves.