Mississippi did us well

HuntDawg

Our lease in Mississippi did us well. We harvested 177 Ducks and 6 Geese. If our field had not frozen 3 inches thick the first 3 weekends in January, who knows how many more would have been harvested.

I always read how if you bust a hole in your flooded field, the ducks will come in to your open water. The experience we had was the exact opposite. When your field is 3 inches thic in ice, the birds know it, and do not come to the area. It was obvious from thousands of birds in the Sky to 10's of birds in the sky.

The last 5 days after the thaw were incredible.

We enjoyed a great season of great hunts, terrible hunts, but all with great fellowship.

mbward5193

That awesome. Congrats. Did y'all kill a good mix of birds? We had a lease 2 years ago and 90% of the birds we harvested were spoonies. Everything I read people say that is predominately what you kill in Mississippi fields.

T-N-T

I ifgure if the ice comes overnight and unexpected then a hole will work. But if it is a long cold snap the birds just leave.

Sounds like y'all had a good time anyway!

HuntDawg

That awesome. Congrats. Did y'all kill a good mix of birds? We had a lease 2 years ago and 90% of the birds we harvested were spoonies. Everything I read people say that is predominately what you kill in Mississippi fields.

48% Spoonies according to my Journal. 30% Green Winged Teal, 10% Mallards, 7% Pintails, 5%Gadwall.

Wish it was less spoonies, but my crew brings a lot of kids in late December and they just want to shoot. I also do 70% of the calling and need more of my crew to join in on the calling. I think that would increase the Mallards and Pintails. Another member only comes out once and just wants to shoot.

flatsmaster

Sounds like fun ... Glad u had a safe and solid season HuntDawg .... we had a good season as well even though mine was cut 3 wks short bc of my dog being bred ... it will be worth the trade off to see her son perched on a tree and bringing back green with her next yr ... I hope all had a safe and solid season .... it's time to fish or chase turkeys now !!!

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Mississippi had one of those (rare of late) banner years due to Arkansas being so froze up. LotS of folks I know did well there. I hadn't been back in like 5 or 6 years, but I got a call saying it was time to roll. And we did....and it was good.

sasmojoe

The lease I used to be on in Mississippi was always covered in Spoonies( Hollywoods). We wouldn't shoot them , but we had no problems killing other big ducks.
They loved a mojo.