Post Your Acorn Reports

Killer Kyle

Hey guys, lets start posting acorn reports. Provide general location......VERY general. County would be preferable. Also if you're able, include elevation and oak type. Whites and Reds particularly. I'll have a decent report Sunday night, and then another one for a different location next mid-week.

snook24

I'll be out Sunday and post what I find.

GAGE

GONetwork Member
Found a white dropping in Elbert, maybe squirrels, but there where quite a few on the ground.

Killer Kyle

I havent noticed any on the ground yet. I'll let you guys know what I find Sunday!

snook24

Went out today and found a chestnut and red oak dropping in one area but that was it..the chestnut looks a lot like the white oak in the tree and acorn...do the bears and deer like them the same or no?

GA DAWG

I've saw whites on the ground in Northern Forsyth. The bears however are in the cornfields right now but that will play out pretty quick. Muscidines are ripe now to. Id say they are eating them some. Also treed a big coon in a redoak last nt. Loaded down. I guess he was up there eating.

shakey gizzard

I've saw whites on the ground in Northern Forsyth. The bears however are in the cornfields right now but that will play out pretty quick. Muscidines are ripe now to. Id say they are eating them some. Also treed a big coon in a redoak last nt. Loaded down. I guess he was up there eating.

Squirrels cuttin hard on hickorys IMBY!

GA DAWG

They cutting em hard and heavy Imfy to. I saw a huge bear eating hickorys last yr up on the mountain in sept.

Killer Kyle

Nah, chestnut oaks are pretty much worthless in my opinion. What do you guys think?!?!

Doug B.

Chesnut oaks are definetely not worthless. If it is a year that chesnut oaks hit but no other oaks do, you better be hunting chesnut oaks. They are also good late season when all the other acorns are gone.

I was bow hunting on Lake Russell WMA a few years ago and watched a doe walk through white oak acorns and start feeding on chesnut oak acorns. I don't know what the deal is, but sometimes they will do that for a few days before they start really hammering the white oaks.:huh:

snook24

Thanks guys...they were eating the heck outta them..tons of caps and pieces all over. They seemed to eat these more than the red oaks on the ground. Have y'all found any persimmons with fruit on them? Found a few trees but nothing

Limbbaconeer

Just got back from a short scouting trip. I was at 3500 to 4000 ft in elevation. It was nice to be out in the woods again. I got soaked. It was raining on and off all day. Like my last few trips, I saw a lot of old sign from last year. The red oaks were dropping and had lots of acorns. I did not see any chestnut oaks. I saw many white oaks, but no sign of acorns on them. Any thoughts from the more experienced folks on that? Do they produce later or is this an off year? If it is an off year will the bears start eating the red oaks?

Gilmer Co.

oldugahat

It seems like folks are finding a good bit of forage this year on the ground. What does that mean for the scouting report? Last year found several bears bunched up on white oaks, and I assumed that was because acorns were fairly hard to come by. And does it seem to you guys like the acorns are falling a little bit sooner than they did last year?

tkyklr1

Was on top of the mtn on Cohutta Wma in Murray Co. Saw alot of red oaks and very few white oaks.

Killer Kyle

Today, I scouted in White County. Scouted around 2,200' elevation. I saw some reds with some acorns here and there, but the acorns in the white oaks in that particular location were virtually barren. Pretty Disappointing. I'm going to hit Rabun county later this week and report what I find there. The scat located at this particular location had less berries than I have been seeing in lately in general, and more grass and browse forage.