Spotted Suckers

Klag

I was playin around in a creek and came across a bunch of spotted suckers relaxing in a small hole. They were actually quite friendly and came up to my kayak to look around.

I happened to have some sweet corn on me incase I bumped into some carp, but these suckers were not interested in corn at all. I also tried crappie nibbles since I had some on me at the time without success.

Anyone know how to catch them? They were just sitting there, not moving. I could drop the corn and other baits right in their face and they wouldn't touch it.

Nightcrawlers? Waxworms?

Flaustin1

Probably spawning/ getting ready to spawn. Prob don't feed during that time. Try sneaking up on them where they cant see you. Just a thought.

luigi

We've caught suckers on nightcrawlers, but I would not say they were spotted suckers. I've seen some other people use some type of bread ball to catch them.

H

Hammer Spank

Yep. Crawlers but sure sounds like they're spawning.

Klag

Thanks guys :) Your probably right, they were probably spawning. They definitely saw me and and even came and swam slowly under my kayak and I got a real good look at their bumps or spots on their snouts.

At first I thought they were walleye since they were long brown fish with white-ish fins, as I got a closer look I could see their big scales and sucker faces and thought they were carp. Then they got brave and swam under the kayak and I got such a close look I could tell what they were (after a Google search when I came home that is).

I donno if I'll go back to play with them... I just wanted to catch/release one for a picture anyway. But with warmer weather maybe some real fish will come out to play instead.

But I want to be ready in case I stumble across some again.

Chap

This is a great example of what I love most about fishing. You just never know what you are going to find out in the water. If you are ever back that way and can get a pic please post it up.

blakely

Best way to catch them is with a net. Netting is strictly regulated and season is already out for this year. I'm not sure where you saw these but legal netting is limited to a small area around Lake Seminole. They are the second best fish in fresh water if you know how to gash them.

Klag

This is a great example of what I love most about fishing. You just never know what you are going to find out in the water. If you are ever back that way and can get a pic please post it up.

I snapped some pics while I was there, but I wear polarized glasses and can see them real good - but the camera couldn't get past the reflection to much. You can see if you look real close, about 5 in the picture.

I need a polarized lens app for my phone :D

IMG_20150304_162132_033.jpg

needmotime2fish

Small red wigglers

+1

Used to catch suckers 50 years ago, growing up in PA, using red wigglers we got in barnyards or under dried "cow patties". Thread one on a #8 snelled hook, about 6" above a 1/2 ounce sinker. Fish it on a tight line with your rod propped on a forked stick. The rod tip will wiggle when the sucker bites (sucks the worm). Raise the rod quickly about a foot to set the hook. Lots of fun, especially in the spring when the suckers make their spawning run upstream.

H

Hammer Spank

They fight well too. I've caught a few monsters in Canada while walleye fishing. I was always bummed when that mouth came into view.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
In another couple of weeks the redhorses will be stacked up like cordwood by the thousands at the foot of the dam on the Muckafoonee Creek.