Ladder Stand Challenges (final pics included!)

kevincox

Come on, Kevin - we ain’t THAT old.

I use a SPOT device and generally, someone knows where I am.

If I am not down and safe by 30 mins past dark:30, my bride will be on the horn to my buddies and the landowners.

It is all good!!!!

Just trying to see if you need a hunt partner when your brother can't go. LoL I usually have a little time off in Nov:D:D

Greenhead

Ladder Stand Challenges

Can't wait to see what you come up with because they way I do it is a pain but pretty safe. For those of you that need to put up a stand before this invention is made here's a safe way to do it especially putting that first strap or chain around the tree. If you have a good tree rope you can use that which I did for years but last year I bought a 100' steel cable. Probably 1/8"-1/4" or so. First I climb the tree in my portable a little higher that what the height of my stand will be. Make sure you take the cable up the tree with you or you really will get a workout. I have a small chain similar to a swing set chain and 2 caribeaners that I wrap around the tree and attach a small pulley to. I then go back down and attach one end of the cable to the stand and the other to my winch or straight to my Atl if you have room. Winch the stand up. Climb back up in my portable and tie the stand to the tree. Time consuming but no pulled muscles, stands falling over or freaking out climbing the ladder to get the strap around the tree wondering if you have the stand at the right angle. Have done all the above.

Iwannashoot

Pesident of the Fla Chaper Useless Billy club.
Very interested in what you have come up with. Lotta places I hunt it is hard to find a tree in the "right spot" that is straight enough to get a climber or lock-on to work.

Jim Boyd

X stand tree stands are interesting but don’t solve the problem of getting the unit stood up and aligned to the tree.

Would love to see one in action, however!!

Kevin, love to have you on a hunt but my Tennessee buddy is coming this year (2018) and I think Ronnie (brother) is coming next year.

I have an issue tomorrow that may delay the test of the new process by a week - gotta run down to the SC lease for a few chores. If I get back in time, I wil test the prototype.

Thanks all!!

1bidbob

BANNED
I just take my 24 foot step ladder with me. I go about 20 foot up in the tree on it and throw a rope over top of step ladder on each side of tree and then just tie it on to each side of ladder stand at top. I then walk stand up as my 100 lb wife keeps tension on the ropes. Works like a charm. I did it the stupid ways for years til I discovered this method. Truth is I got too old to do it the stupid way and had to figure out a better way !!! Boys, I hunt out of a 20 foot high Hawk Denali and it is a cadillac of a tree stand !!! Just remember this: A weak mind will work you to death !!! That is why I found the best way I have seen so far !!!

nmurph

I put up two 25' ladder stands by myself this summer. I used a folding 20' ladder to attach a pulley to the tree. The key to not having the ladder sway as you raise it is to have the pulley snugged up against the tree. I'm 54 an had no problem installing the stands by myself.

turkeykirk

This is why I get my 28 year old 6’6” 275lb. son to put mine up!:rofl:

Rich M

Either my wife helps or I run a strap around the tree and shimmy it up. I did a 20 ft ladder once with wife on 4 wheeler (rope from 4 wheeler to platform) holding it in place. I really don't like being that high - 12-15 ft is enough.

If I was gonna do it alone, it would be similar - a rope or strap to the platform, pulled into position and held securely.

Jim - your idea might be the next wave of brilliancy - at least figure it out and let some folks try it. See what they'd pay.

As always - this thing would need some serious insurance policy and strong language to protect your assets.

Jim Boyd

Hey Folks –

Many of the solutions suggested – such as using a portable climber, using a folding 20’ ladder, using a 20’ extension ladder, using an atv, etc – are exactly what I am trying to avoid.

I have used all of these processes (except the folding ladder) and have found them to be cumbersome, hard to move in and through the woods – and I have multiple stands (particularly in the Midwest) where I cannot get an ATV.

Using a portable stand – many times – is not a solution due to the branches on the tree.

My intent was to take the frustration out of the process with a simple and easily transported device that takes the heavy work, frustration and danger out of the process.

The device I propose can be carried in one hand and could easily strapped to the front or rear of an ATV and would be no wider than the ATV, allowing you to use any trail you wanted to use for transport. The ATV is in no way needed to erect the stand.

I have a lot going on right now but am hopeful to test the device this weekend and then I can provide much more positive details – or I will tell you I ran into snag and need some design changes.

I personally think it is gonna take the stand right up and secure it – and I will be testing it on a 21’ stand, which is pretty tall.

I am archery only – so all of the stands that I put up will be 20’ + tall unless I am simply moving an existing stand that is several years old.

BTW, the device could be used on a stand that is as short as 8-10’ or as tall as 25’ tall.

Details to follow as I have them.

Thank you for all the excellent feedback!

gadeerwoman

Jim, you design something and I will definitely buy one! This is one of my major pet peeves about getting older. I find I can not even set up a 15' ladder by myself anymore unless I can back the truck up to the tree and manage to lift it up from the truck bed and even that is difficult. I love a 18-20 foot ladder (have several). Since I got out of clubs they have been out of use simply because I can not get them set up by myself and I seldom have help close by. I've tried several different things that I bought. Like you mentioned the stand seems to eventually swing right or left before it sets to the tree properly. With you skills I know you can come up with something. And if you need marketing help when you get ready to mass produce and sell I have a good friend who can help you market them.:biggrin3:
Can't wait to see what you come up with!! All us older folks are sitting on the edge of our seats. :clap:

biggdogg

I don't recall the name offhand, but a friend of mine bought a hoist kit from Cabelas made for hanging ladder stands. It has a hoist winch that is strapped to the tree as high as you can reach and a set of spikes that attach to the feet of the ladder to keep it from sliding to the tree. By cranking the winch, the ladder pivots over the spikes. The winch cable secures the stand so that you can attach the supports and straps. I helped him put up a few stands with one last summer.

Gumpbuck

I just take my 24 foot step ladder with me. I go about 20 foot up in the tree on it and throw a rope over top of step ladder on each side of tree and then just tie it on to each side of ladder stand at top. I then walk stand up as my 100 lb wife keeps tension on the ropes. Works like a charm. I did it the stupid ways for years til I discovered this method. Truth is I got too old to do it the stupid way and had to figure out a better way !!! Boys, I hunt out of a 20 foot high Hawk Denali and it is a cadillac of a tree stand !!! Just remember this: A weak mind will work you to death !!! That is why I found the best way I have seen so far !!!

First year hunting out of the Hawk stand. LOVE IT!!!

Gumpbuck

I fabricated my own wench system but also had the right/left sway issue on the way up.
If I need to raise a tall one again, before we see Jims idea, I'm using my climber to attach a pulley above the final stand height and pull it up that way. Still not easy I'm sure, but willing to try it.

Jim Boyd

Hey Folks,

First of all – Sandra, I owe you a giant apology.

I did not send you that stack of deer cameras… I just got busy and did not get it done and for that, I am sorry!

I still have them – just need to work out a way to get them to you!

We have heard many ways to get the stands put up – including the publically available winch system (which I own) but none have addressed all the issues I hope to solve.

The winch system starts to solve the problem (the winch system I have had for a few years is very hard to turn the handle and the cable puts a LOT of stress on the center of the stand as it pulls the stand upward) but even if you do manage to get the stand hoisted – it still does not assist in any manner in helping hold the stand to the tree as the first strap or chain is installed.

I have broken one stand in half with the winch system and have also broken one in half putting up by hand – the weight of the upper section (particularly if you have extended the ladder) can often cause this happen. I think this is one of the reasons for stands that are now often built as double rung – particularly as ladder stands are sold that are taller and taller.

The expanded interest in double ladder stands (the upper section is very heavy) exacerbates the problem of upper section weight vs ladder strength and stability.

The sway left and right using the winch system has frustrated me, as well…. As we all know, ground that is not level (left to right and forward to back, as it relates to tree position) can often make this sway problem a real pain in the back side, particularly if you are working by yourself.

My system will not apply stress to the center of the stand in any manner and I am reasonably confident it will remove the vast majority of the sway problem when erecting the stand.

Again, will see if I can get it tested this weekend and provide a better report.

Thanks all!

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Dang it Jim you got us old folks all excited now. You got to come through now.

Jim Boyd

Yessir, Milkman.... I will!!!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Jim, in all seriousness hunting alone is not the best of ideas at our ages. Especially out of state! But I wil be interested in seeing your invention. I'm sure you would have no problem selling quite a few of them if it works!

Oh hush Kevin, I like it when everyone finally leaves camp and I am there for a week or so by myself. If I kick over I kick over doing what I love with peace and quiet and on my own schedule :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Jim, looking forward to your trials and studies on this.

1bidbob

BANNED
I forgot to mention I have ladder levelers on my extension ladder. I wont even attempt to climb an extension ladder anymore unless it has those installed. Also, you dont have to go up 20 feet high. You can actually lie the rope over top of ladder and have someone keep it tight as you run the ladder up. You never even have to set foot on the ladder.