***Craigslist Boat Scam***

SnapperSlapper

Guys,

I have been checking the section in boats for sale on Craigslist regularly and I believe there is a scam on there. There is somone selling a Ranger Comanche 2006 bass boat with a 225 mercury for $5600.00!! I e-mailed the person when the boat was posted and it took her a while to e-mail me back. She said she got the boat in a divorce and is trying to sell it because she does not need it. She wants to hand the deal through this shipping company and she will not contact you personally. I have e-mailed a couple of more times. I have not heard back. I checked Craigslist again today and the boat was put back up but taken off after only a few minutes. ITs a great looking boat but I guess its too good to be true. If you see this, be carefull. If it turns out to be true, somone will get the deal of a lifetime. My buddy works for a bank and he hears of scams like this all the time. Watch yourself:banginghe:banginghe:banginghe:banginghe

RackNBeardOutdoors

Oh yeah, that is true. Be careful of the people that try to buy your boat or vehicle. Same thing, they say they will pay for shipping through a money order. It's crazy

Workin2Hunt

Gone but not forgotten
I have seen this in the past on e bay as well. There was a 20' Stratos with a 200 on there for 6,000. I contacted them and received one reply, the listing said the boat was in Georgia and I said I wanted to see it. They said they would have to get it shipped here. The listing was gone the next day.

jettman96

I had the same thing happen with a 4-wheeler. Posted and got an email from someone wanting to send me a check to ship the f4-wheeler overseas and I could keep the rest. I didn't fall for it, but, they will send you a check but, because of the international check cashing laws, you don't find out that the check has bounced until you've shipped the product.

So, keep an eye out for that one too.

Cletus T.

I Hate Criminals...i Wish We Could Do As Charlie Daniels Says....take A Tall Oak Tree And A Short Piece Of Rope And Let'em Swing To The Sun Goes Down!!!

SnapperSlapper

Thief

Its rediculous. Somone gets so excited because they are getting somthing they have dreamed of for years and the other person is laughing all the way to the bank or the bahamas, the keys, etc. This drives me insane. Glad I was smart enough to not go ahead and purchase it. I guess Auburn University did teach me somthing.:huh:

sweatequity

simple rule

if it is too good to be true it always is. I have ran into this on autotrader.com several times. great deal, send me some money to let me know your serious blah blah.

Dont be a sucker!

FishingAddict

Its rediculous. Somone gets so excited because they are getting somthing they have dreamed of for years and the other person is laughing all the way to the bank or the bahamas, the keys, etc. This drives me insane. Glad I was smart enough to not go ahead and purchase it. I guess Auburn University did teach me somthing.:huh:

Apparently they did not teach you the Keys were in the states ::ke:: ;)

Last edited:

javelin225ho

Look up Nigerian puppy scam on the web and you will see who is probably behind the ad.

i got plenty of offers for the puppy thing while selling lab pups. they want to send you a 4K cashiers check, take the money for the dog, send the rest in form of a personal check and the dog and ship them to an address in Canada.....i hear these checks are 99.9% real and only one number would be off. its extremly dangerous to deal with this crap....you could be out some serious cash, and guess what, if it turns up fake, you are the liable one.....

Dixiesimpleman32

GONetwork Member
i had someone try to get me on buying a camper it was a great deal they wanted me to send the money to canada.they never would call me or give me a phonenumber.i didnt fall for it.i hate a thief.

chestatee

i think i seen the same boat on ebay about 3 weeks ago. i e-mailed them about the price this woman e-mailed me back said it was legitimate so i got as far as the time to send them money. they had e-mailed me a copy of the shipping invoice and everything. so i forwarded it to ebay for them to check it out they replyed back and said it was a hoax. so please be careful.

jkp

According to an article I read 5-15000 scams are posted across the US on Craigslist daily. The bad thing is it is hard to tell what is for sale and what is a scam. I have found if they list a phone number or you have to email thru craigslist instead of a bogus email address you are much better off.
Rgds,
J

60Grit

Especially when their email reads something like this;

"I like very much to send you money order for you item.
Please give address I can send to, will send ship information later."

LanierSpots

But, you have to admit. If you thought you were going to get a Ranger Comanche 2006 bass boat with a 225 mercury for $5600.00, you were kinda asking for it. LOL.

JerkBait

Banned
Guys,

I have been checking the section in boats for sale on Craigslist regularly and I believe there is a scam on there. There is somone selling a Ranger Comanche 2006 bass boat with a 225 mercury for $5600.00!! I e-mailed the person when the boat was posted and it took her a while to e-mail me back. She said she got the boat in a divorce and is trying to sell it because she does not need it. She wants to hand the deal through this shipping company and she will not contact you personally. I have e-mailed a couple of more times. I have not heard back. I checked Craigslist again today and the boat was put back up but taken off after only a few minutes. ITs a great looking boat but I guess its too good to be true. If you see this, be carefull. If it turns out to be true, somone will get the deal of a lifetime. My buddy works for a bank and he hears of scams like this all the time. Watch yourself:banginghe:banginghe:banginghe:banginghe

i emailed her also JUST to see what kind of crap she had in mind. i got the same ol story about the divorce and how she didnt need it anymore. she said the boat was in new york and it would be shipped to me for a little over five grand.....

:banginghe

what a joke. i wish people would get a life.

brett30030

But, you have to admit. If you thought you were going to get a Ranger Comanche 2006 bass boat with a 225 mercury for $5600.00, you were kinda asking for it. LOL.

Reminds me of the guy who walks into a bar with a big pile of dog squeeze in his hands and says "look what i almost stepped in":rofl:

Stay away from Craigslist unless it is a local sale. I have delt with some of the same problems yall are talking about. I actually had a guy send my a check for some merchandise I had listed on Craislist and he wanted me to send him money back b/c he sent me too much. It is loaded with scams and I don't even mess with it anymore. E-bay is the way to go

shdw633

I just seen this same scam run in the Orlando Sentinel classifieds!! 2005 Commanche with Merc 250 for $5500. The only difference is he says he will meet you with the boat anywhere within 500 miles!! Thanks for the heads up on this and the reason I found this is because of the ole if its too good to be true reasoning! So I did a search on google and this thread came up!!! WTG Woodyites!!