I need hepl building a bait tank.

fd1228

OK guys I know alot of you know more about this than I do. My first problem is size. I fish from a tracker panfisher so space is limited. Any ideas? Is 5 gal. too small? How should I filter the water?

fd1228

Shad mostly

brianj

Shad mostly

you'll probably need more than 5gallons. look up threads by etter2, he had some 10-12 gallon tanks that he was offering up and that might work for you. Still kind of small for shad, but as long as you're not trying to keep too many, you may be ok. I'm pretty new to shad my self, i'm sure other will chime in with better info

jrider

i use a 55 gallon drum. i cut 2 holes in for an inlet and a drain. i use a cheap bilge pump from walmart to get the water in. its perfect for keeping shad alive during my striper season. wish i had a pic tho....

dphillipx

i use a 55 gallon drum. i cut 2 holes in for an inlet and a drain. i use a cheap bilge pump from walmart to get the water in. its perfect for keeping shad alive during my striper season. wish i had a pic tho....

hmmmm go out to the garage and take us some pix....this seems to be a really popular topic as of late....lol

jrider

im at work now but i'll try to remember to get a pic when i get home. its super easy to plumb. and with the aeration from the fresh water u dont have to worry with adding ice and rock salt to keep em alive

Etter2

Banned
Forget building one. Order a 14 gal bait tank from cabelas. I just got one of these last week for 100 bucks and it kept 4 dozen shad alive until noon the other day. Its a great tank. It comes with a great aerator. You just need a battery to attach it to.

j_seph

Must of been small threadfin not dollar bill size and bigger gizzard shad.

1gr8bldr

Forget building one. Order a 14 gal bait tank from cabelas. I just got one of these last week for 100 bucks and it kept 4 dozen shad alive until noon the other day. Its a great tank. It comes with a great aerator. You just need a battery to attach it to.
LOL, I fish 12 rods at a time, how long would that last

1gr8bldr

Current in your tank is the secret to doubling or more your shad carrying capicity

Lanier Jim

I've got a 14 gallon (blue inside) that I've used one time. Got it from Larry at Oakwood Bait & Tackle thinking I'd do some striper fishing - but the green fish kept calling me. I'll sell at a good price if interested. If not, going to put it on craigslist and marketplace on GON. Great little tank - kept 6 dz bluebacks alive and frisky all day the one time we used it.

Shoot me a PM if interested -

LJ

brett30030

Jimmy, embrace the dark side!!! Muuuwhhhaaaa!!!