Got rut?

AllAmerican

Seeing some early stages of rut or start of rut. Friend of mine put it on a buck in Morgan County, another friend in Coweta County, seeing dead deer all over roads and highways, seems like it's on in the Piedmont, any one else seeing some activity I'd love to hear about it through out the state. Good luck.

bowhunterdavid

I saw 4 shooter bucks in dekalb county Saturday morning cruzing the timber pushing around does, one of them is dead, yes I would say it is on in the piedmont for the next two weeks,look at the pictures on bow hunting forum, look at his NECK.

jerry russell

We run very extensive camera surveys in central Georgia and it shows a great increase in daytime buck movement. Lots of unwanted dogging of the does by the bucks. We are also seeing them move great distances over night. In my opinion it is THE most reliable time to kill a mature buck because of the predictability of their approach to doe areas. A flurry of scrapes/rubs in a push or pinch point is where I want to be for the next 5-7 days. After that, if will just be crazy town movement during the rut.

Good luck everyone.

Last edited:

Stump Shooter

I agree Jerry we have seen them up and moving and my favorite spots are the ridges, old road beds, and fingers extending from big bottoms. I stay out of the deep bottoms, they look good but that close trad shot is hampered by the swirling wind. We have also seen late movement, IMO you are better off getting to stand later to stay longer during the morning. I had left the stand around 10:30am to scout and when we came back around 45min later we jumped a buck coming from the trail leading to some scrapes near my stand, blew that one.

oldfella1962

I agree Jerry we have seen them up and moving and my favorite spots are the ridges, old road beds, and fingers extending from big bottoms. I stay out of the deep bottoms, they look good but that close trad shot is hampered by the swirling wind. We have also seen late movement, IMO you are better off getting to stand later to stay longer during the morning. I had left the stand around 10:30am to scout and when we came back around 45min later we jumped a buck coming from the trail leading to some scrapes near my stand, blew that one.

Due to family business I could only hunt around mid-day Saturday. I got settled in after building a quick bow hunting ground blind and cutting shooting lanes about 10:00. At 10:45 a big bodied buck came in behind me :(looking for a fight! :bounce: I was in no position to shoot, but now that he's tipped his hand on his coming/going I might have to mock-scrape him into the next world when the rain quits later in the week. Worse case there's a spike buck in the same area. I'm in the piedmont, Richmond County/Columbia County border.

Munkywrench

Have bucks chasing and grunting heavy, started seeing it last weekend in Oconee on the Clarke county line

oldfella1962

LOCK DOWN! :cry: Somebody flipped a switch or something.
It's been a ghost town the past few days. I don't know if the temperature being 80 degrees has anything to do with it.

Jake63

Same in Meriwether, I hunted everyday this week it was dead. Even the camera pics slowed down. Maybe this front coming through this weekend will get them moving again,

Barebowyer

Had a cowhorn come in on a string(grunt call) yesterday evening at 515pm hooking limbs, scraping, etc..like he was the boss....a few minutes later the does came in....I guess I cheated but I hadn't taken a deer with my pistol....so, I shot three of 'em...110, 85, and 75 yds. (my meat run is complete I guess.) Need the temps to drop IMO..

Barebowyer

I didn't hunt yesterday but my GF and her father did. They saw minimal movement but did see a couple lil ones on the move...one at first light...one at last light!! That's it!

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I have been release from doctor to start walking as much as I can and driving again. Still can't lift much but I will figure that out if I am lucky. As soon as this rain is over it will be on for me. Looking forward to it. Biggest challenge will be not to do to much to fast.
Jeff

I got in the woods at around 11am and was able to stalk close to 4 different deer so things are starting to happen. Longbows and ground hunting is super challenging!

oldfella1962

Yep! I can still hunt/stalk them to within gun range though. :( Might as well be a mile out though if you have a trad bow.

Latest posts