laws on havving backyard chickens

ninabl

any one know the laws or who should i call?
i want to get a few chickens to raise in my backyard,
im in barrow county between winder and bethlehem but not in any city limits. im in a older neighborhood, thats the only reason i could see not being able to have them.
i have lookind online and couldnt find anything.
thanks

jason4445

Here they are illegal to have unless you get a permit. You can only have 6 hens and no roosters, the pen has to be a certain size and chicken coop has to be a certain size and cannot be within so many feet of another house. You have to pay a permit fee of $25 a year and pay another $25 as a one time fee to pay a inspector to come out and approve the permit.

Guess what - there ain't to many chickens around here.

FX Jenkins

Here they are illegal to have unless you get a permit. You can only have 6 hens and no roosters, the pen has to be a certain size and chicken coop has to be a certain size and cannot be within so many feet of another house. You have to pay a permit fee of $25 a year and pay another $25 as a one time fee to pay a inspector to come out and approve the permit.

Guess what - there ain't to many chickens around here.

I'd move...

manok

A guy at work built a ' chicken tractor ', it's not what it sounds like.

Has a 1/2 dozen hens & gets plenty of eggs.

Just lifts it up & rolls it to another part of his yard.

He's in an older subdivision in Mcdonough with no covenance.

ninabl

A guy at work built a ' chicken tractor ', it's not what it sounds like.

Has a 1/2 dozen hens & gets plenty of eggs.

Just lifts it up & rolls it to another part of his yard.

He's in an older subdivision in Mcdonough with no covenance.

thats what i was looking to do. i have a half built chicken tractor and was just looking to get 2 or 3 rhode island reds and no roosters.
there is alot of people that have them around here just havent seen any in a neighborhood.

slip

Retired Moderator
walk over and ask your neighbors if they mind, if they dont there wont be any problems no matter the rules.

if they do, there well end up being problems no matter the rules...

jcinpc

Gone but not forgotten
I have 23 chickens for my kids to sell eggs, we have no ordinance against it. I`m out of the city limits. Dont need a rooster for eggs and they are mean and too noisy
we have barred rocks, reds, buffs austrolorps and a few americanas that lay green eggs

skiff23

Check Georgia's new right to grow act. As long as you are not under pre-exhisting neighborhood restrictions ,you should be ok. No county can zone it out. Just look at the new law.

crackerdave

Go ahead and gitcha a nice flock. If anybody complains,just tell 'em the administrators at GON/Woody's said you could have 'em.::gone:

SarahFair

walk over and ask your neighbors if they mind, if they dont there wont be any problems no matter the rules.

if they do, there well end up being problems no matter the rules...
No no...
On the chicken site I am a member of its pretty agreed upon that when it comes to chickens its best to act then ask for forgiveness.

See, a lot of people have ideas about chickens. They think they are loud, nasty, stink, etc. They are actually the opposite unless you have a rooster or dont clean the coop.
I have two roosters, my neighbors have two roosters, and the people next the them have roosters. The only time I hear them is if Im outside or when they are right up against the house, even then its not loud enough to wake you up out of your sleep (unless you put them up under your bedroom window, dont ask me how I know :rolleyes:)

ninabl

well i called the barrow county zoning department and they are going to see what my property is zoned as. i think its r3 and am not aloud to have chickens. he said you have to have at least 2 acres to be zoned residential agricultural. he said he would email me the info before he went home (yesterday) and i still haven't got it. no surprises there. it might be time to sell this house anyways and move.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
well i called the barrow county zoning department and they are going to see what my property is zoned as. i think its r3 and am not aloud to have chickens. he said you have to have at least 2 acres to be zoned residential agricultural. he said he would email me the info before he went home (yesterday) and i still haven't got it. no surprises there. it might be time to sell this house anyways and move.

If you bought hens and kept them penned up no one would know. They rarely make loud noises. But don't be fooled, hens can make a racket from time to time.

slip

Retired Moderator
you could always 'bribe' the neighbors with fresh eggs every once in a while.

and if they turn into a pain in the butt you could fertilize their lawns for them...:D

SarahFair

If you bought hens and kept them penned up no one would know. They rarely make loud noises. But don't be fooled, hens can make a racket from time to time.
Yes...
Some have an "egg song" where they can get kinda loud when they lay an egg. But what bird doesnt make noise from time to time :huh:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hx_Hdpg1M8g?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hx_Hdpg1M8g?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>