Mud tires recommendations ?

I switched to BFG from Nittos and I am, after about 18 months, very happy with them. Went down a bit from 305s to 285s on my FX4 but they are super smooth on the interstate. I used to "feel" speeds a bit over 80 before, but now 90 can easily sneak right up on you.

Attachments

• 1106171450-1.jpg
    1106171450-1.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 444

Bob Wallace

We regularly get 70k+ out of Duratracs. They do hum a little bit but do well in almost all conditions. Cooper ST Maxx are nice also but didn't get as many miles out of them.

paulito

I'm hoping for 70K. Always happy with anythign over 60K tho. The Duratracs have been very good on performance off road. Honestly tho i'm not sure i see much more performance over my BFG at's. The loss in MPG outweighs the off road performance for me just due to me driving a lot.

Dub

Have the day off today.

Went by the shop and was the second guy through the door when they opened up at 7:00am.

Figured I'd get 'em on there while I waited. No such luck....booked up with appointments.

Went ahead and ordered the tires I wanted and made my own appointment for next week. Tire store is doing a strong bidness.

Now my only decision is white letters out.....or white letters in. Black truck with pewter colored alloys....that will soon be black or bronze or combination of both.

Dub

Well............................

Went to the Mothership this morning.

Decided to go black-out after rolling them up to the truck.

red neck richie

Well............................

Went to the Mothership this morning.

Decided to go black-out after rolling them up to the truck.

They look good Dub. Let me know how they drive especially on wet pavement. I haven't been able to find a mud tire that I liked the handling on wet pavement. Your input would be appreciated.

Reactions: Dub

Dub

They look good Dub. Let me know how they drive especially on wet pavement. I haven't been able to find a mud tire that I liked the handling on wet pavement. Your input would be appreciated.

Will do.

A high bar has been set by the Firestone Destination AT tires.

Had 'em on 3 different 4x4 trucks and got over 50,000 miles on each set. Great road performance and great hunting & fishing performance.

Last edited:

lonewolf247

Great looking truck and tires Dub! I've ran those exact tires on two different trucks in the past. Overall, for a MT tire, they ride fairly smooth and relatively quiet on the road, for the first half life of the tire at least. The wet traction is decent as well up to that point.

Once they get over 25,000 miles or so, they are more rough and noisy. The wet traction declines pretty good too. Also, I tried them once on icy roads and they were awful!

However, all of that above is pretty much typical for MT tires. IMO, you need to change MT tires shortly after you get over the 30,000 mile mark. Of course I'm basing this off of two 2500HD trucks. On the Toyota, you might get better tread life out of them. When compared to other MT tires I think these tires rank pretty high.

Dub

Great looking truck and tires Dub! I've ran those exact tires on two different trucks in the past. Overall, for a MT tire, they ride fairly smooth and relatively quiet on the road, for the first half life of the tire at least. The wet traction is decent as well up to that point.

Once they get over 25,000 miles or so, they are more rough and noisy. The wet traction declines pretty good too. Also, I tried them once on icy roads and they were awful!

However, all of that above is pretty much typical for MT tires. IMO, you need to change MT tires shortly after you get over the 30,000 mile mark. Of course I'm basing this off of two 2500HD trucks. On the Toyota, you might get better tread life out of them. When compared to other MT tires I think these tires rank pretty high.

Thanks, Lonewolf.

I've really enjoyed this little truck.

I wanted a set of the Destination AT Special Editions but they weren't available when I went tire shopping.

They have a cool camo looking pattern molded into the sidewalls.

Look great shined up and even better when some mud dries on 'em.

Perform the same as the other Destination AT's that have served me so well in the past.

I love the look of these MT2's, however there are tradeoffs. These are E-rated which is overkill for my needs...much heavier than the Destination LE's that came off the truck. Gonna be interesting to see what kind of mileage I get out of the first tank of gas with them.

Gonna run them an see. Have two buddies with them and they said they are getting better life on the MT2 than the original. They are running K1500 and K2500 4x4's. Like you said...maybe this lighter truck will be even easier on them.

Hoping I can get some of this rain to come down when I get a couple days off work....gonna go have fun getting it dirty. :fine:

Goat

GONetwork Member and TU member!
Do they come with yeti stickers for the back window?

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
What is this Yeti sticker y'all speak of?????

Yeti have Chicom knock off tires now. .....

Jester896

Senior Clown
I have an extra set of wheels if you want them.

I run BFGs on my F250 but most of my driving is road with some dirt road. Get good mileage out of them too.
I have Toyo MTs on my Tacoma TRD. They will rock you silly at slow speed until they warm up. They are a little loud on the road. I have used them to climb out of ditches and many other places you really don't want to be....they will clog if you let them...over all they have been just above OK. Can't keep a set of Nittos on any truck I have...just don't hold up.

Hope you have good luck with your purchase.

Dub

Well......it's been about 5,000 miles on these and I have to say that I'm very pleased with these tires.

I'm sure the treadwear will be much less than the AT tires I'm used to.

The impact to my mileage has been very small over the OE highway tires that I ran the first 4,700 miles.

Here was a great comparison. The same I-20/I-95 interstate trip made 9 months apart.

Yesterday's trip.

Considering I went up almost 20 lbs per tire on individual weight......I ain't complaining.

red neck richie

Thanks for the update Dub. I will look at getting these tires when my BFG's where out. Less than a mile per gallon difference is not bad at all. By the way get some gas your almost out.

Dub

Thanks for the update Dub. I will look at getting these tires when my BFG's where out. Less than a mile per gallon difference is not bad at all. By the way get some gas your almost out.

LOL.....just refilled a little while ago.

BFG K02's seem to get really good lifetime, too.

I'm really happy with my truck's performance at this time.

Curvebow05

Can I bring this back for an update? I have been eyeballing those Hercules MT's for the Jeep but I loved the original Firestone M/T's on my Pathfinder years ago. How's the wear? How many miles? How often do you rotate? What's the latest scoop. I've ran almost every mud tire out there except BFG or Goodyear. Never liked them. Those Firestone Destination MT's were second only to my Toyo's.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I like some things about my Toyos and don't like other things but all around they are good. I do rotate every 5K and balance. I wish I got the gas mileage Dub gets...I don't...closer to 17.5.

Dub

Can I bring this back for an update? I have been eyeballing those Hercules MT's for the Jeep but I loved the original Firestone M/T's on my Pathfinder years ago. How's the wear? How many miles? How often do you rotate? What's the latest scoop. I've ran almost every mud tire out there except BFG or Goodyear. Never liked them. Those Firestone Destination MT's were second only to my Toyo's.

I've had them on for approximately 7,000 miles.

The wear is minimal.

They were rotated after 5,000 miles.....and will be rotated again at 10,000 miles when I get my next oil change.

There isn't much tire noise when driving....but then again I had my exhaust modified just prior to getting these tires....exhaust has more throaty sound that likely drowns out some of the tire noise.

I've had seven 4x4 vehicles and this is my first set of mud tires. Prior to these my favorite tire was the Destination AT....excellent off-road performance, good on street and over 55,000 miles on every set I had....and I did a crappy job of rotating them. :rofl:

I had my truck out in the wet clay this weekend and they hooked up very well and got me through stuff I don't think my old favorite AT rubber would have. The wide tread lugs do a great job of shedding stuff and biting into whatever you are driving through.

I'm really wanting a set of these SCS Ray10's fro my truck....but they have some offset and will have my tires slightly wider apart....just enough to allow debris to sling off the tires onto the body's sides. Looks like some wide mudflaps would be needed.