Why do we have "other faiths"?

JFS

A couple of thoughts. Humans have always displayed the need for a higher power. Every society, isoloated or not, has some system of beliefs about creation and the afterlife.

I'm pretty sure the common denominator is that in every society people die. Not surprising that everyone takes a WAG. Why not, it's not like anyone can prove you wrong.

ted_BSR

JFS, Thanks for the post, I was enlightened by the number of people that have claimed deity, or have been unwillingly deified posthumously or while alive. Some even renounced the status. It was an interesting Wiki post, and I have no doubt all these accounts are factually reported. What about David Koresh? Why was he not included?

In all of these accounts, by their own account, does anyone of these people come back from the dead? I realize this is a biblical story and not very provable, but do any of them claim a dominion over death? Jesus did.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
JFS, Thanks for the post, I was enlightened by the number of people that have claimed deity, or have been unwillingly deified posthumously or while alive. Some even renounced the status. It was an interesting Wiki post, and I have no doubt all these accounts are factually reported. What about David Koresh? Why was he not included?

In all of these accounts, by their own account, does anyone of these people come back from the dead? I realize this is a biblical story and not very provable, but do any of them claim a dominion over death? Jesus did.

Stories by anonymous authors about somebody named Jesus claimed that he had a dominion over death. Jesus never had written about his own account with death, never personally documented coming back from being dead or as far as we know has never written one single thing about anything.

JFS

What about David Koresh? Why was he not included?

Not sure, but my recollection of him is as claiming to be a special prophet as opposed to an actual divinity. But who knows, I'm sure the lines get blurred around a lot of these guys.

ted_BSR

Stories by anonymous authors about somebody named Jesus claimed that he had a dominion over death. Jesus never had written about his own account with death, never personally documented coming back from being dead or as far as we know has never written one single thing about anything.

Yes, I agree.

Corvus

I was brought up Christian and thanks to other christians, I found another faith that made sense to me. Christianity can't be the only right religion because it isn't right for a lot of people.

BANDERSNATCH

All religions can be wrong, but logic dictates that no two can be opposite and true at the same time.

SarahFair

Not one religion has it 100%. I like to think each one holds a small piece of the puzzle. :)

Artfuldodger

I was brought up Christian and thanks to other christians, I found another faith that made sense to me. Christianity can't be the only right religion because it isn't right for a lot of people.

I would find it interesting as to what your new faith is.

Artfuldodger

All religions can be wrong, but logic dictates that no two can be opposite and true at the same time.

So you don't think someone can combine Native American religion and Christianity together?
What about Gullah and Christianity?
Homeopathy and Christianity? (although homeopathy isn't a religion)
Astrology and Christianity?
Vodoo?
Q: Do you know if your daughter has ever been involved in voodoo or the occult?
A: We both do.
Q: Voodoo?
A: We do.
Q: You do?
A: Yes, voodoo.

Something I found out not too long ago, that I thought was interesting, was that the Mormons believe that the ancient Mayan story of Quezacotl was actually the story of Jesus Christ (in their own words). Now, I am not saying it is, I am just putting it out there.

If anyone is familiar with the story of Operation Auca ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Auca ) they would recall that the Huaorani people already had an understanding of "God" and the story of creation. Just in their own dialect and understanding of the terms. The most remote people on earth, having no contact with outsiders, understood the basic tenets of what we call "Christianity".

The Huaorani that murdered those 5 missionaries, understood that what they did was rebellious and evil. Really? How is it they would understand without ever having been "indoctrinated" by the outside world?

Something "imaginary and made up" must have been the motivating factor behind them having a conscious and an understanding of what is right and what is wrong. :D

Where does that come from?

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoroastrianism

I have been studying this guy for a couple of years. Many atheists, polytheists, claim that religion, as we know it today, originated with him. One claim is that the Christian term "free will" was "invented" by him.

Nietzsche had a lot to say about him too. http://home.vicnet.net.au/~atheist/Zoroasta.htm

Nietzsche blamed the Jews and their offshoot, the Christians for creating a religion based on, what he called, 'slave morality'.

And we all know what that led to ... the rabid anti-semitism of Hitler's Third Reich (Nietzsche inspired Hitler). Not a lot of people realize that it wasn't only Hitler's goal to rid Europe of the Jews .. he also wanted to rid Europe of religion (according to his personal secretary Traudl Junge). Hitler used Christianity to promote anti-semitism by completely changing the identity of Christ.

http://books.google.com/books/about/The_Aryan_Jesus.html?id=fiCJeNJIhoAC

Last edited:

Zelix

I agree with a lot of what is said here. I guess you get what you believe in. I don't want to be a muslim because I don't want '99' virgins as my reward. I don't know what the women get, stoned probably or beheaded.

I don't want to be hindu or buddhist because I don't want to come back as aunt ann the rat or cow that can't be killed because it's a past relative and it's holy....holy cow!

I personally just like what Christianity has to offer....see Jesus, see all your family that went before you, being joyful and happy. That's just what I chose....I like that religion the best.

If I'm wrong I guess I won't get the 99 virgins and come back as a cow, standing in the shadow of a starving baby, that I wish I could feed.....eat the cow, eat the cow.

:huh:

This made me chuckle as it was simmering with self righteousness and disdain for other religions. You should check out some of the greats hits in the bible. It's got a few good ones in it as well.

Many of the thumpers chirp about other religions but I bet in these days they couldn't pass the test...look here:

A marriage shall be considered valid only if the wife is a virgin. If the wife is not a virgin, she shall be executed" Deuteronomy 22:13-21

The bible is as full of the woman bashing stuff as the koran is with the 99 virgin deal.

At least the buddhist don't roll out and kill "in the name of God or Allah"

With that said I'm a Christian married to a Buddhist. Her family is more decent and righteous than most Christians I know. It just happens that they weren't born in this country. If God sends them to h3ll over some of the chumps I know here then something is really wrong with this picture.

Just saying. Have a blessed day.

hunter rich

Something I found out not too long ago, that I thought was interesting, was that the Mormons believe that the ancient Mayan story of Quezacotl was actually the story of Jesus Christ (in their own words). Now, I am not saying it is, I am just putting it out there.

If anyone is familiar with the story of Operation Auca ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Auca ) they would recall that the Huaorani people already had an understanding of "God" and the story of creation. Just in their own dialect and understanding of the terms. The most remote people on earth, having no contact with outsiders, understood the basic tenets of what we call "Christianity".

The Huaorani that murdered those 5 missionaries, understood that what they did was rebellious and evil. Really? How is it they would understand without ever having been "indoctrinated" by the outside world?

Something "imaginary and made up" must have been the motivating factor behind them having a conscious and an understanding of what is right and what is wrong. :D

Where does that come from?

Kind of like alien/ufo/squatch sightings and descriptions...

centerpin fan

This made me chuckle as it was simmering with self righteousness and disdain for other religions. You should check out some of the greats hits in the bible. It's got a few good ones in it as well.

Many of the thumpers chirp about other religions but I bet in these days they couldn't pass the test...look here:

A marriage shall be considered valid only if the wife is a virgin. If the wife is not a virgin, she shall be executed" Deuteronomy 22:13-21

The bible is as full of the woman bashing stuff as the koran is with the 99 virgin deal.

With that said I'm a Christian married to a Buddhist. Her family is more decent and righteous than most Christians I know. It just happens that they weren't born in this country. If God sends them to h3ll over some of the chumps I know here then something is really wrong with this picture.

It's refreshing to see that you have neither. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

I'm an easy going guy and can see your point. What are the views of women in early Buddhism? I've read women have to be reincarnated as a man to gain salvation. I'm sure their beliefs are as varied as Christians.If you have any children, do you teach them both religions? Do ya'll go to each others service?

panfried0419

This why I began attending a non denominational church. I grew up Baptist Methodist and Presbyterian and all 3 contradicted each other.