Morel Mushroom hunting

garnede

Does any one have any tips for finding morels in GA. I have found them successfully here in alaska, but never in the south. Which trees do they associate with? which are they never found around? Thanks in advance.

KentuckyHeadhunter

never heard of anyone finding them in GA. My friend goes up to Illinois and Pennsylvania to hunt for 'em. I've never encountered any in the south.

chadf

They are here!!

Gotta find them..... My buddy loves them and he goes out everyday to pick them! Then cook them up!

BradMyers

Gone but not forgotten
Yep

Look near Poplar & Ash. They should be out now for the next 4-6 weeks. Also check out the web site morel mushroom hunting. Lotsa info there, the site is run by a Georgia resident. I'm heading out today and will let you know what I find.

garnede

How large are the average morels there in Ga? Here in Alaska they are 1-2 inches tall and very difficult to spot. I know some places get them as large as coke cans.

I have a friend who is really into mushrooms -- extremely knowledgeable.

He finds morels around here. Unfortunately he's not a good enough friend to tell me where.

He says to look in the privet bottoms along creeks.

garnede

Mushroom spots are tightly guarded. The only way to find them is to take a slow walk and keep looking till you find them. You notice I did not ask for a location. No one would tell me a location, but if you find out what habitat they like then you can find them your self.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
There are plenty of morels in the South if you can find them (and no, I ain't telling you exactly where to go. :) ) I find most of them around tulip poplar or ash trees. The main thing is they're only around for a week or two. If you miss'em, that's it until next year. Here in western NC, it's usually about the third week of April when they pop up.

Attachments

• morels.jpg
    morels.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 3,546
  • bigshroom.jpg
    bigshroom.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 3,548
  • bigshroom2-1.jpg
    bigshroom2-1.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 3,583

garnede

Anyone finding them yet this year?

BradMyers

Gone but not forgotten
4 days and nothing here in Coweta yet. Finds from mid central GA & Augusta area now coming in, so this area will be real soon. I did find a small clump of young oysters today. Hopefully they'll grow some more with the cool days and rain ahead.

BradMyers

Gone but not forgotten
Finally

Found 2 small grey's about 2" tall & barely poking through the leaf's. They are off to a late start here in Coweta. Here are a couple of pic's. My first morel pic was out of focus, I had to move the leaf's to get a full shot. The second photo was how I saw it, they blend in well. I left both to grow and hopefully lead me back to more in a week.

Attachments

• 1st one of the seasonmar2410-2 012 Mid.JPG
    1st one of the seasonmar2410-2 012 Mid.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 3,240
  • 2nd one mar2410-2 017 med.JPG
    2nd one mar2410-2 017 med.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 3,256

WOODSWIZE

They, like the pollen, seem to be off a week or so this year -but fiddle head ferns are comning in!

shawn mills

Went looking in one of my honey holes today and still have'nt found any yet. We're about 10 days behind this year so hopefully later this week theyll start popping up. I found over 100 4-8 inche yellows last April.

garnede

I'm glad they are late, as I will be arriving in state tomorrow. Just in time for some hunting. Last night I had diner at a restaurant with Morel Strudel in cream sauce! It was awesome and really put me in the mood for hunting.

cddogfan1

Newer hunted them but want to. I live in the Dublin area. Ever any reports from this area. What are some tips for finding them. Creeks, Swamps, etc?

shawn mills

Macon has turned out quite a few big morels. Try looking in privet hedge bottoms where ther is moisture from creeks and rivets. Concentrate under dead tress and around dead or rotting logs. Poplar trees tend to have them underneath also.

BradMyers

Gone but not forgotten
Macon has turned out quite a few big morels. Try looking in privet hedge bottoms where ther is moisture from creeks and rivets. Concentrate under dead tress and around dead or rotting logs. Poplar trees tend to have them underneath also.

My experience in finding them around here is creek bottoms and edges looking for host trees like Poplar & Ash. Fruit trees can be another good host. Unlike morels in other parts of the country dead trees don't seem to play any kind of role. Live Poplars have been where I have been finding them. A good mix of soil & sand (loamy) too

Just found 10 more on 4-3-10 in a new spot, but only 1"-2" tall, so I left them to grow. I have heard some say we are 10 days behind, but I think it's more like 15.

Here are some pics of the woods that I have been finding them to give y'all an idea of what I look for. All these were taken from the spots of finds. Hope this helps.

Happy Hunting.:cool:

Attachments

• 4-3-10 3rd.jpg
    4-3-10 3rd.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 3,089
  • 4-3-10 Flood rim.jpg
    4-3-10 Flood rim.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 3,133
  • mar2410-2 015.jpg
    mar2410-2 015.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 3,162
  • mar2410-2 014 spt 1.jpg