what am i doing wrong

leroy

Newbie to reloading, bought some 223 brass using a Lee Turret press using full length sizing die and using a lee case trimmer with case length gauge. Now the problem after resizing-trimming my brass length are 1.72-1.73 max is 1.76 I set up sizing die by directions, trimmer has no adjustment, question is could I still use it, wanting to loading a hornady 55 gr soft point. I have a L E Wilson case gauge and brass fits easily in it.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
the case is under the max length, which is what you want. I don't see any problems with the information you have listed.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Short answer is... yes
SAAMI is 1.76 -.030. The longest case you can use is 1.76 and the shortest case is 1.73.

Looks like you don't the same result from them as I do -.003-.005 under max length.

And from the looks of your result it will be easy to set up for pretty consistent crimps if you intend to use them.

Good Job!

Last edited:

biggdogg

Short answer is... yes
SAAMI is 1.76 -.030. The longest case you can use is 1.76 and the shortest case is 1.46.

Looks like you get about the same result from them as I do -.003-.005 under max length.

And from the looks of your result it will be easy to set up for pretty consistent crimps if you intend to use them.

Good Job!

I think you meant 1.73

that would be a .30 difference as opposed to .03

blt152

Not sure if this is the problem but I use the same Lee case trimmer and found out that the .223 stud is capable of seating below the cutter blades if seated to hard. Ended up using a depth gauge on my calipers to set the stud to the proper length. I would not worry about the .003/.004 variation. As long as are below the maximum you should be fine.

jmoser

Just don't grind the Lee case trimmer down until it bottoms out - you can develop the knack after a while to stop early and be closer to desired case length. PITA but if you measure before trimming you can know if the case needs a lot or a little.

Federal brass sized, before trimming, is often already .010" below 'trim to' length and still shoots MOA or better for me. Read up on the RCBS 'X-die' and that requires you to trim .010" below standard anyway.

Way too short will lose neck tension and may cause crimping issues but you should be OK.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I think you meant 1.73

that would be a .30 difference as opposed to .03

looks like I may have stayed up too late last night. You are correct. I remembered they were different than others at -.020 and went to saami.org and confirmed -.030

My Lee trimmers don't cut that much off...of the 2 or 3 I have the one that cuts the most is -.010 of max length.

fixed it

killerv

My lee trimmer bottoms out at exactly 1.748. Close enough to the optimal trim length of 1.750 for me.

Your shorter cases aren't getting trimmed at all. If your max is 1.760 after trimming, that is all your trimmer is capable of cutting if you have it bottomed out. If it was capable of more, you'd have never seen that 1.760. Id put it in a vice and see if you can screw it in a little further.

1.720 is way too short. Seems your cases were just way too short from the get go. I'd toss anything under 1.730.

Get you some decent calipers that can measure to the .00x.

Last edited:

Jester896

Senior Clown
My lee trimmer bottoms out at exactly 1.748. Close enough to the optimal trim length of 1.750 for me.

Your shorter cases aren't getting trimmed at all. If your max is 1.760 after trimming, that is all your trimmer is capable of cutting if you have it bottomed out. If it was capable of more, you'd have never seen that 1.760. Id put it in a vice and see if you can screw it in a little further.

1.720 is way too short. Seems your cases were just way too short from the get go. I'd toss anything under 1.730.

Get you some decent calipers that can measure to the .00x.

I read it as he knows his max case length for .223 is 1.76 and he tried to trim them and they ended up being 1.72-1.73.

Chase4556

You are good to go. If you want to get closer to the 1.76 length, just back out that trimmer stem a 1/4 turn at a time to fine tune it. Mine was real tight, so as I screwed it in it was real easy to screw it in TOO far. A little fine tuning should get it set exactly where you want it.

As for the cases that are down near 1.72-1.73, they will be fine. Like someone already mentioned, some factory brass is that long even after being fired. I find them pretty often. Load them up, and shoot them. It will only take one, maybe two firings before they stretch and will be long enough to contact and trim back down.

leroy

Thanks for info loaded them up with 24g of varget and 55 gr barnes ballistic tips and shot some quarter size groups yesterday.