Bamboo Arrows with a twist

RonsPlc

I have wanted to try some bamboo arrows for a while now, but didn't know where to start until I spoke with a "Waller" who steered me in the right direction.

Here's where I'm at at this point....

Tonkin Bamboo shafts, Wild Turkey cock feather (thanks longbowdave1), 2 Canada Goose Hens (All split, and ground my yours truly). I used a glue on nock for ease in locating in the woods, as well as reflective tape as a wrap for the same reason.

Rf0mZyv.jpg

7QLsZvu.jpg

Here's where I took a different route... I cut a 2117 arrow down to twice the length of an insert, compressed the bamboo to the point that the 2117 fit TIGHT. Result... I now have a Bamboo Arrow that takes a screw in point, and the tip has a re-enforcing outsert.

kZjzl6l.jpg

They fly GREAT out of my WinterHawk Longbow. :biggrin2:
What do you think?

dpoole

very nice SIR

RonsPlc

Thank you gentlemen... I'm proud of the way the feathers turned out. This was my first attempt at splitting/grinding them. I did it with a clamp that I made, and a hand held belt sander. :)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Very nice! There is nothing on earth that makes a better arrow shaft than bamboo/cane. You did a great job on those.

TNGIRL

they look great! and if they fly like you want...then I'd say make a dozen and enjoy them!!!!! they'll take plenty of abuse!:clap:

Todd Cook

Good job! I like those goose feathers. I've never had any but they seem like they would make awesome feathers for wet weather.

RonsPlc

Good job! I like those goose feathers. I've never had any but they seem like they would make awesome feathers for wet weather.

At this time of year, they're in Moult around here... all you have to do is go for a walk around the lakes/ponds/rivers where you see them, and pick them up by the dozen.:fine:

gurn

Gone but not forgotten
great job