I made the mistake of shooting it!

DEERFU

I acquired an old bear super kodiak from a friend of mine a while back that has been collecting dust. I figured someone could put it to use and I could use the extra cash in my pocket for other purchases so I put it up for sale... until I took it out and shot it while getting it shined up for the sale :banginghe:banginghe:banginghe. Should've never knocked that first arrow!!!! 50 shots later and I'm hooked again. Man that ole bow is smooth. At close range my deer target doesn't stand a chance. Looks like I'm gonna have to invest in some arrows and heads dedicated to this one now. I have plenty of carbons and even a few fletched with feathers. Will they be ok or do I need something more specific? I'm assuming fixed 2 blade heads are best. Any specific grain for 45lbs @ 28"? Thanks for the input.

DEERFU

Also- this bow doesn't have a rest. It looks like it may have had some type of stick on flipper rest in the past. Is just mole skin on the shelf ok? Or would a commercial rest work better?

Jake Allen

That is a nice bow. I shot my first deer ever with a Super Kodiak. That was in 1976. I still have the bow.

If you want to try a carbon shaft, I would go with a 500 spine, (GT3555 blems would be perfect), glue on some feathers, leave them full length, (30"), then try a 135 to 165 grain Magnus 1, or Magnus 2. Those should be about right.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If you shoot wooden shafts with Razorheads, Fred's spirit will smile down on you.

Vance Henry

Be very careful......before you know it you will own about ten trad bows. Very addictive.

bronco611

Darn, just when I thought I might get a great bow cheap you had to go and shoot it!!! Even worse you had to enjoy it! Nice bow kill ya some critters with it.

Al33

I am not too far from you and have a lot of different arrows you can try if you care to venture my way. I can also put some rest material on for you.

dpoole

come to a NGT or SGTP shoot and you will meet some of the finest folks alive

DEERFU

Had jury duty this week so finally got out in the yard this evening and try a few more shots. All I have here that is close to being usable is a half dozen beeman ics 400 carbons @ 28" fletched with feathers and tipped w/100 grain points. Not shooting great distances. At ten yards I'm putting all six in a six inch group. Out at fifteen 5 of the six is still in the kill zone of my deer target. Haven't tried anything farther than that till I can get the proper arrows and tighten up these groups. Man this thing is quiet and fun to shoot. Don't know if it makes a difference but it doesn't have the string silencers either. Thanks for all the suggestions. I think Mr. Al might be close to me so I might take him up on his offer to try different arrows

TIMBERGHOST

Might want to make sure your arrows weigh over 400 grains. Also, you might want to avoid a FF string on that bow. Depending on the age of that bow, I'd go with B50 Dacron if that bow is pre- 70's. And shoot it off the shelf. It'll shoot great off a flipper or weather rest but it'll really shoot good off the shelf.

Latest posts