What rifle?

joedublin

Browning A-Bolt 7mm08 with Redfield 3X9 scope. It used to be my Browning .308 BLR until some piece of stinkin' rotten trash stole it out of my Jeep. Hope it shoots his foot off !!!

Buckman18

When I'm hunting a 5 yr old I bring my big winchester extreme weather in .300 mag...

When I'm feeling classic, I bring a classic winchester featherweight in .308...

When I'm feeling nostalgic I hunt with my old marlin .35...

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
Ruger .308

Attachments

• _20151115_170512.jpg
    _20151115_170512.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 841

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
.30-06 Tikka T3 lite SS w/ Vortex diamondback HP 3-12x42
.308 CZ550FS w/ Leupold vx1 2-7x33
.308 PTR-91 w/claw-mounted Henzoldt Fero Z24

The Tikka likes Federal Fusion. Shot Hornady 150 gr SST in the .308's but am looking at different cartridges. In all honesty, after getting into shooting the bow, rifles are now an afterthought.

Joe Brandon

Savage .308. Accurate and 10 feet is the farthest one's ever run, or should I say leaped after being shot. Now I have missed my share but its not my rifles fault. Knocks a lung out everytime.

lineman73

My 2 Cents Worth!!

For general deer hunting use, I reach for my Ruger M-77 Ultralight in .308 Winchester, topped with a Leupold VXII 3-9 x 40 scope and load with Hornady SuPerformance 150 grain SST ammo. This rifle, fully loaded, with sling and scope goes at just a hair over 6 lbs. It is a pure delight to carry in the woods! I took a 185 lb six point buck, at 150 yards with this rifle last season. Antlers were not too tall, but did have a 16 1/2" spread. Very impressive.
Ruger M77  Ultra Light .308.jpg <---Ruger M-77 .308 Winchester

For short range in the thick stuff, I use a DPMS Panther Arms Oracle equipped with a Stag Arms Model 7H upper in 6.8mm Remington SPC, with a Bushnell Trophy 1.5-4.5 x 32 scope. I have installed a Magpul MOE stock, a Magpul hand grip, and an Amy Geissele Advanced Combat Trigger. I feed this "evil black rifle" Hornady Custom 120 grain SST ammo. I took a 167 lb doe with this AR at a laser rangefinder verified 230 yards. I'm going to try it out next year with the original DPMS 5.56mm Oracle upper, using Winchester 64 grain Razorback ammo. That upper has a Bushnell Banner Trophy 1.75-5 x 20 scope. Looking forward to performance similar to the 6.8mm upper.
Stag 6.8 SPC Upper.jpg <---6.8mm SPC Upper
DPMS Panther Arms Oracle (2).jpg <---5.56mm Oracle Upper

For short range clear areas, I have a Savage Model 11 in .22/250 Remington, with a black, grey and white shadow camo pattern that I applied to the black synthetic stock. It is topped with an el cheapo Tasco 3-9 x 32 scope at this time. Something better is coming in the near future. I feed this one Winchester 64 grain Power Point ammo. I have not yet taken a deer with this rifle, but hopefully I will this year.
Savage Model 11.jpg <--Savage Model 11 .22/250 Remington

Last of all, is the bean field rifle or as I like to call it, the "AT&T Special", for when you need to "Reach Out And Touch Someone!!" I picked this one up after I already had the Ruger. I wanted a rifle for long range shooting and all-weather use (I hate getting a good wood stocked rifle wet!!). So.....I located a Savage Model 116 stainless/black synthetic with a silver Bushnell 3-9 x 32 wide angle scope, in 7mm Remington Magnum. It likes Hornady 139 grain SuPerformance SST ammo.
Savage Model 116.jpg <---Savage Model 116 7mm Remington Magnum

To date, this rifle is responsible for the longest shot that I have ever made. Using the old Hornady 139 grain Heavy Magnum loads, I shot a 6 pt buck, diagonally across a cow pasture, at a laser rangefinder verified 410 yards. The deer ran 30 feet, head-on into an oak tree! Dead Right There!! Can you say, "Super gratifying shot"??
:biggrin2:

Last edited:

MYRX

I use a Winchester 270 80% of the time. For cut-overs, bean fields, etc. I select my Sako 7mm mag.