Meteorite found.

mauser64

Anybody here have any personal knowledge of meteorites? I found this one while turkey hunting this year. From the research I've done it looks to be an iron nickle meteorite, I did the magnet test and it stuck to it.
Of course my next question would be where can I sell it locally, I hear that they are pretty valuble and this type is more rare than the stony type.

Any input would be appreciated.

Attachments

• meteorite 001 (1014 x 760).jpg
    meteorite 001 (1014 x 760).jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 2,056
  • meteorite 002 (1014 x 760).jpg
    meteorite 002 (1014 x 760).jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 2,042
  • meteorite 003 (1014 x 760).jpg
    meteorite 003 (1014 x 760).jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 1,876

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Odd, but the 3rd pic looks like a different shape.
How much does it weigh???
What do want($) for it???

Ballplayer

Probably worth more by throwing it on the grill with your burgers and having some fun. ( looks like a good size hamburger in photo )

mauser64

The third pic is a side view, the first two were front and back or top and bottom whichever description applies.

I'm still researching this thing and have contacted several people that will be able to verify my suspicions. In the end it's worth whatever you can get I guess but from what I've seen they go for hundreds into the thousands of dollars depending on location and type. I have not weighed it yet but it is very dense. May run down to the local pawn shop to weigh it.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
The third pic is a side view, the first two were front and back or top and bottom whichever description applies.

I'm still researching this thing and have contacted several people that will be able to verify my suspicions. In the end it's worth whatever you can get I guess but from what I've seen they go for hundreds into the thousands of dollars depending on location and type. I have not weighed it yet but it is very dense. May run down to the local pawn shop to weigh it.

I gotcha....Good find!!!:cheers:

A lot of factors involved in value for sure. Keep us posted on it....very interesting:cool:

mauser64

207 grams or approx 7 oz. on the wt.

mauser64

I hope not! If it is he had high iron levels in him cause you can hardly pry a magnet off of it!

sinclair1

I have heard of some with those properties. It might be a meteorite, but I didnt want to pass up the chance to make you wonder if you have been pokin and proding a piece a poop:cheers:

Laneybird

I'm in the process of putting a slice of the stoney in black acrylic. It will be back lit and set on an office shelf. The lady I'm doing it for, said it came from China. Didn't ask her the total amount, but she said they paid a pretty penny. Probably expensive because of the cutting.

I was also told to try and not handle any of the face of it, because of the rusting it would do.

double b

You may try calling the Tellus Museum in Cartersville. It used to be the Weinman Mineral Museum and they might at least give you a contact or connection of who to talk to.

bam_bam

Nice find. Hope it turns out to be valuable. Was it laying on top of the ground or did you dig it up?

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
I used to find stuff like that all the time, near an old foundry..;)

Will be interesting to see what the experts say you've got there and what it's worth.

ThePeaceKeeper

I saw a show on TV about guys going hunting for them, they told the prices they would sell for and I was shocked. Made me want to go look for some.

flyingt

I had one that I suspected was a meteorite years back. I contacted fernbank in Atl and they were very interested after seeing my pics. I went down and met Dr. Ed Albin. and lent them the "meteorite" they did a cut on it and a guy from California flew in to test it. It seems it was only gabo stone. A type of rock that was once molten lava and formed into a round bubble like shape and worked it's way to the surface.It seemed heavier then normal for it's size and it was rounded off and it was magnitized. It would of been the largest meteorite found in georgia ever.

FX Jenkins

I saw a show on TV about guys going hunting for them, they told the prices they would sell for and I was shocked. Made me want to go look for some.

Yea that was a pretty neat show...they are making a handsome living at it...selling them to museums and universities by the gram....

These folks might help, instructions at bottom of page..

http://www.aerolite.org/found-a-meteorite.htm

FX Jenkins

or put it on Ebay with a starting bid of $400...see what happens...if somebody bites, you can atleast buy a new rifle...