Do you protect your sunflowers from deer?

Forest Grump

I wonder how those work, I would assume they'd have some sort of slip clutch in them? That would be nice though.

On Canuck5's linked page, there are tabs for a video for the ATV version (that shows the reels taking up slack in one line while the others are taut) and a PDF that mentions oiling the clutches, so clearly it has them. Their ground is a lot softer than mine, if he can place or pull those posts from the seat...

Last edited:

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !

gobble79

I use the cordless drill as well to roll it back up. Use like a 1"x1"x3' piece of wood. Drill bit into the the end and start rolling. Every now and then the bit will slip but works for me. Better have backup batteries though.

Burton

Still uneaten, but the weeds may take over. My last plot started coming up a few days ago.

Attachments

• IMG_20170501_195546379-1080x608.jpg
    IMG_20170501_195546379-1080x608.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_20170501_195556361-1080x608.jpg
    IMG_20170501_195556361-1080x608.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_20170501_195604238-1080x608.jpg
    IMG_20170501_195604238-1080x608.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 266

Forest Grump

Looks like your primary weeds are grasses: clethodim @ 8-12 oz/ac + 1 qt COC will solve your problem without injury to the sunflowers. Be patient; you may not see yellow for 1-2 weeks, but by 3 weeks the grass will be dead.

Burton

Looks like your primary weeds are grasses: clethodim @ 8-12 oz/ac + 1 qt COC will solve your problem without injury to the sunflowers. Be patient; you may not see yellow for 1-2 weeks, but by 3 weeks the grass will be dead.

Thanks for the info. Just ordered it so I hope it works :)

Canuck5

I'll just add to Forest's great recommendation and assume you will use a hand held tank sprayer for your plot ......

Attachments

• Clethodim Hand sprayer rates.JPG
    Clethodim Hand sprayer rates.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 253

Burton

Well, the clethodim and COC killed the sunflowers and didn't really slow down the grass. I sprayed 2 of the 4 small plots and the result was the same.

The plot that I seeded heavily (seen at the top of photo 3 on this page) produced lots of sunflowers. They are small though (2-3 ft avg) b/c of how heavy the seed was. I did not spray this plot.

I'm 99% confident I applied the correct amount. It seems that if I applied too much, the grass would easily die. If I applied too little, I would not expect the sunflowers to die like they did.

If I learned anything from these plots, it is that my only success in planting sunflowers was from planting wayyy too much seed with no spraying and no fertilizing. I didn't even smooth the ground or cover the seed.

Canuck5

Something isn't quite right. Take a picture of the jug of herbicide that you used, if you would. Clethodim only kills grasses and is safe to use on sunflowers.

6-16 ounces/acre is recommended, along with 1 quart per acre of crop oil. See page 24 http://www.pestrong.com/file/1299-Arrow_2EC_LABEL

What did you use in your sprayer before hand?

Canuck5

If you used a 3 gallon hand sprayer, you would've only put 1 - 2 ounces of clethodim and 4 ounces of crop oil, in that 3 gallon tank, but your grass should've been nuked, either way.

Attachments

• Clethodim Hand sprayer rates.JPG
    Clethodim Hand sprayer rates.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 196

Burton

Something isn't quite right. Take a picture of the jug of herbicide that you used, if you would. ..............

What did you use in your sprayer before hand?

I used this: http://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/agrisel-grass-out-max-herbicide

Also, I had glyphos in the sprayer beforehand. I rinsed it for 5-10 mins to try and get everything out and sprayed water out of the nozzle before adding the new solution. Still though, it had almost no affect on the grass.

I used a 1 gallon sprayer b/c that is what I had and the area was only 4000 sqft or 1/10th acre.

Canuck5

Burton

If you had any glyphosate residue in the tank, it would've killed the grass too, since it does not take much glyphosate to kill grass.

Some of the grass is literally 5 feet tall right now. It is in a strip that I fertilized, but I sprayed it about 3 wks after fertilizing.

Canuck5

I don't think you got what you paid for. Your grass should've been nuked and your sunflowers should have been smiling!

Maybe some others might have better ideas on what happened?

Burton

Yeah, IDK what happened. The day after I sprayed them, they all wilted and yellowed. After a few days they were mostly green again, but they have not grown since then.

I'm not saying there's no way I made a mistake, but what happened doesn't make sense to me.

guido5221

This is what I use to roll the electric fence tape back up. A welder built it for me. Easy to change out the spoils. Turns on bearings

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 162

Forest Grump

Yeah, IDK what happened. The day after I sprayed them, they all wilted and yellowed. After a few days they were mostly green again, but they have not grown since then.

I'm not saying there's no way I made a mistake, but what happened doesn't make sense to me.

You had residual of some other herbicide in your sprayer; either you did not clean out the roundup successfully, or some time in the past you sprayed 2-4 D or similar with that same sprayer. When you added the COC + clethodim, it pulled that out of your tank & hose, & it affected your sunflowers. Clean out is important when you use the same equipment with different chemicals. Sometimes even farmers learn that the hard way, & the 1st row in the field gets killed or injured, or the middle if they had to stop & let it sit in the tank overnight.

It wasn't the clethodim, even if you doubled the rate it wouldn't kill sunflowers. If the wrong stuff was in the bottle, the purveyor will hear about it from everyone they sold it to & would contact you.