Do you protect your sunflowers from deer?

cjones

You had residual of some other herbicide in your sprayer; either you did not clean out the roundup successfully, or some time in the past you sprayed 2-4 D or similar with that same sprayer. When you added the COC + clethodim, it pulled that out of your tank & hose, & it affected your sunflowers. Clean out is important when you use the same equipment with different chemicals. Sometimes even farmers learn that the hard way, & the 1st row in the field gets killed or injured, or the middle if they had to stop & let it sit in the tank overnight.

True story. I had been spraying Callisto on corn and switch over to RU to go over beans. I rinsed the heck of out of the tank and ran several hundred gallons of water through the whole system to make sure to get the Callisto out. A week after spraying a field of beans, the farmer calls and asks us to come explain what happened. Smack dab in the middle of a 300+ acre bean field, there was a 90' swath (which happened to be same swath of the booms on my RoGator) of damaged beans. The swath started almost instantaneous but fizzled out in the direction of travel. Only thing we could figure is that some of the Callisto had settled and caked somewhere in the system and it broke loose randomly while spraying the beans. I had sprayed close to 100 acres (over 1,000 gal of H20) before it finally let loose and flowed through the system. It's amazing how little residual chemical can ding a plant it is specifically designed to target.. it's almost like they designed it like that. :)

king george

Put milorganite on them,I had soybeans get upwards of ten inches tall before the deer ever ate them. I only applied one time ,it lasted about 4 or 5 weeks. You can get it at Lowes.