GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Leases and Land Management and Gardening > Food Plots/Supplemental Feeding and Gardening

Old 05-01-2017, 08:47 PM

Still uneaten, but the weeds may take over. My last plot started coming up a few days ago.
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2017, 10:42 PM

Looks like your primary weeds are grasses: clethodim @ 8-12 oz/ac + 1 qt COC will solve your problem without injury to the sunflowers. Be patient; you may not see yellow for 1-2 weeks, but by 3 weeks the grass will be dead.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
Looks like your primary weeds are grasses: clethodim @ 8-12 oz/ac + 1 qt COC will solve your problem without injury to the sunflowers. Be patient; you may not see yellow for 1-2 weeks, but by 3 weeks the grass will be dead.
Thanks for the info. Just ordered it so I hope it works
Old 05-02-2017, 08:04 AM

I'll just add to Forest's great recommendation and assume you will use a hand held tank sprayer for your plot ......
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck5 View Post
I'll just add to Forest's great recommendation and assume you will use a hand held tank sprayer for your plot ......

Haha, yes, I think I will pass on the aerial application. Thanks for the added info.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:04 PM

Well, the clethodim and COC killed the sunflowers and didn't really slow down the grass. I sprayed 2 of the 4 small plots and the result was the same.

The plot that I seeded heavily (seen at the top of photo 3 on this page) produced lots of sunflowers. They are small though (2-3 ft avg) b/c of how heavy the seed was. I did not spray this plot.

I'm 99% confident I applied the correct amount. It seems that if I applied too much, the grass would easily die. If I applied too little, I would not expect the sunflowers to die like they did.

If I learned anything from these plots, it is that my only success in planting sunflowers was from planting wayyy too much seed with no spraying and no fertilizing. I didn't even smooth the ground or cover the seed.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:27 PM

Something isn't quite right. Take a picture of the jug of herbicide that you used, if you would. Clethodim only kills grasses and is safe to use on sunflowers.

6-16 ounces/acre is recommended, along with 1 quart per acre of crop oil. See page 24 http://www.pestrong.com/file/1299-Arrow_2EC_LABEL

What did you use in your sprayer before hand?
Old 06-22-2017, 01:32 PM

If you used a 3 gallon hand sprayer, you would've only put 1 - 2 ounces of clethodim and 4 ounces of crop oil, in that 3 gallon tank, but your grass should've been nuked, either way.
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Something isn't quite right. Take a picture of the jug of herbicide that you used, if you would. ..............

What did you use in your sprayer before hand?
I used this: http://store.doyourownpestcontrol.co...-max-herbicide

Also, I had glyphos in the sprayer beforehand. I rinsed it for 5-10 mins to try and get everything out and sprayed water out of the nozzle before adding the new solution. Still though, it had almost no affect on the grass.

I used a 1 gallon sprayer b/c that is what I had and the area was only 4000 sqft or 1/10th acre.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:08 PM

Huh .... Well, if it did not kill your grass, there was something else in that jug, other than Clethodim, is my guess. Your product is also labeled for Sunflowers, too (page 5) https://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com...EV-3-10-10.pdf

If you had any glyphosate residue in the tank, it would've killed the grass too, since it does not take much glyphosate to kill grass.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
If you had any glyphosate residue in the tank, it would've killed the grass too, since it does not take much glyphosate to kill grass.
Some of the grass is literally 5 feet tall right now. It is in a strip that I fertilized, but I sprayed it about 3 wks after fertilizing.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:34 PM

I don't think you got what you paid for. Your grass should've been nuked and your sunflowers should have been smiling!

Maybe some others might have better ideas on what happened?
Old 06-22-2017, 02:54 PM

Yeah, IDK what happened. The day after I sprayed them, they all wilted and yellowed. After a few days they were mostly green again, but they have not grown since then.

I'm not saying there's no way I made a mistake, but what happened doesn't make sense to me.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:25 PM

This is what I use to roll the electric fence tape back up. A welder built it for me. Easy to change out the spoils. Turns on bearings
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post
Yeah, IDK what happened. The day after I sprayed them, they all wilted and yellowed. After a few days they were mostly green again, but they have not grown since then.

I'm not saying there's no way I made a mistake, but what happened doesn't make sense to me.
You had residual of some other herbicide in your sprayer; either you did not clean out the roundup successfully, or some time in the past you sprayed 2-4 D or similar with that same sprayer. When you added the COC + clethodim, it pulled that out of your tank & hose, & it affected your sunflowers. Clean out is important when you use the same equipment with different chemicals. Sometimes even farmers learn that the hard way, & the 1st row in the field gets killed or injured, or the middle if they had to stop & let it sit in the tank overnight.

It wasn't the clethodim, even if you doubled the rate it wouldn't kill sunflowers. If the wrong stuff was in the bottle, the purveyor will hear about it from everyone they sold it to & would contact you.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
You had residual of some other herbicide in your sprayer; either you did not clean out the roundup successfully, or some time in the past you sprayed 2-4 D or similar with that same sprayer. When you added the COC + clethodim, it pulled that out of your tank & hose, & it affected your sunflowers. Clean out is important when you use the same equipment with different chemicals. Sometimes even farmers learn that the hard way, & the 1st row in the field gets killed or injured, or the middle if they had to stop & let it sit in the tank overnight.
True story. I had been spraying Callisto on corn and switch over to RU to go over beans. I rinsed the heck of out of the tank and ran several hundred gallons of water through the whole system to make sure to get the Callisto out. A week after spraying a field of beans, the farmer calls and asks us to come explain what happened. Smack dab in the middle of a 300+ acre bean field, there was a 90' swath (which happened to be same swath of the booms on my RoGator) of damaged beans. The swath started almost instantaneous but fizzled out in the direction of travel. Only thing we could figure is that some of the Callisto had settled and caked somewhere in the system and it broke loose randomly while spraying the beans. I had sprayed close to 100 acres (over 1,000 gal of H20) before it finally let loose and flowed through the system. It's amazing how little residual chemical can ding a plant it is specifically designed to target.. it's almost like they designed it like that.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:54 PM

How hot was it when you sprayed? and how much crop oil did you mix in the tank?
Old 07-07-2017, 06:10 AM

Put milorganite on them,I had soybeans get upwards of ten inches tall before the deer ever ate them. I only applied one time ,it lasted about 4 or 5 weeks. You can get it at Lowes.