Jackson Big Rig

gathumper

I have an original Coosa and thinking about a new kayak for me and use the Coosa for my wife or guests.

Primary use is river fishing on the upper hootch, Chestatee, Etowah, etc. maybe some small lakes/ponds, but mainly river float and fish.

I'm not a light weight (hahaha) so I'm thinking about a Big Rig for a big boy! Mainly due to max stability, and thinking it may float in less water than the Coosa. I know it's heavy, but I'll deal with the weight if it's that much more stable, as long as it's not TOO hard to paddle and turn in the faster water. I know the Coosa is better, but I already have one. (Considering Coosa HD though), and I want something different.

My main objective is a comfortable, stable ride, where I can leave the seat in the high position MOST of the time. (The Coosa seat stays low most of the time)

If you have paddled the Big Rig in the type water I'll be in, I would love to hear from you. I'm ready to buy one, just want to hear that it's not a Big Dog in the smaller, faster rivers.

Thank You!

Stump06

Idk about fast water and I'm not familiar with the rivers you mentioned but me, my uncle and a buddy all have big rigs and love them. I'm a big guy, 6'1" 255 lbs and I feel super comfortable in mine. I stand up and fish out of mine a good bit and have never felt like I was going to fall out.

The Coosa felt a good bit less stable to me when I tried it. The big rig turns pretty tight, probably not tight as a Coosa though.

I have the seat in the high position and have actually never put it in the low position (I would if i was going through rough water). I mostly fish in ponds and small rivers and its perfect.

It is a little heavy coming in at around 100 lbs. I would recommend a trailer, makes loading and unloading a lot easier. (plus plenty of room for gear)

If you have any more questions let me know, I'll be glad to help you out!

Last edited:

S.Tanner

I am a couple of months into owning a Big Rig now and it has performed great. I have used it floating the river and in ponds with no issues in either case. The only disadvantage is the weight of the boat. I got a nice kayak cart when I purchased the boat and that cures the weight issue. The little bit of extra weight I encounter during the few minutes loading and unloading is by far offset by the extra comfort and stability I have for several hours on the river.

Apex Predator

I currently have mine listed on the classifieds, but its not because it doesn't paddle well. I think its faster than a Coosa, and turns very easily. I paddled her on a six day, 141 mile journey in Jan. Great boat, but I need to trim two down to one, so I can continue to store them under my carport alongside my Gheenoe.

S.Tanner

I currently have mine listed on the classifieds, but its not because it doesn't paddle well. I think its faster than a Coosa, and turns very easily. I paddled her on a six day, 141 mile journey in Jan. Great boat, but I need to trim two down to one, so I can continue to store them under my carport alongside my Gheenoe.

I saw that listed. If I wasn't so far away I would try to get together with you on it. After my wife started paddling mine, she loved it. Now wants one. So now I need another.

LanceColeman

I fish the same waters as you do. I think you'll be OK (maybe better off with the HD?) Until around late July/August. I'm not a big guy at all, but even then when the hooch gets real low I have to pick my routes in my coosa. I never put my seat in the high position. One because you bang your knuckles on long paddles when you aren't paying attention, and mainly because I pretty much stay standing up all the time unless it's going through shoals.

Also I know Marty (Apex) personally. Shared hunting trips and campfires with him. You won't find a better person to deal with. It would be worth the trip just to get to see or know him. LOL! How ya been buddy?

Hookedonhunting

I paddled miy new one for the first time this past Sat......in Alattoona. It did great. Two and three foot wakes from powerboats and never did I feel like I would flip. I took the wakes from the side most of the time and as long as your hips are on a pivot your all good. The ones I took nose first were no biggie at all either. It's def slower than my 17year olds perscador but I'll deal with that. I paddled for two hours straight from the YMCA ramp to the mouth of the Little (I think) and back. No big deal. Super roomy boat. Very very stable. Faster boats on the market but few with the stability if any! I will say this as well. My wife is in an Old Town Predator MX. Dang fine boat As well. Pretty yak too. Faster than my BR. Less options Altadena on it. Seemed a little faster. Hard to tell. Good luck in your decision.

gathumper

Thanks for all the replies! I really appreciate it. I've looked at them in person twice and read every review and post I can find and I still can't decide. :deadhorse:

So I'm going to get both! :banana:

Well, not really GET both, but I've arranged to RENT both a Big Rig AND a Coosa HD.

Going down the river with several of my friends and I'll get to paddle both! That should make up my mind.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Big Rig, but we'll see how it goes. I'll be sure and report back!

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
gathumper, i have had both and like them both. i am in an HD now and it is probably my favorite all around kayak i have ever been in. if you want to see a side by side comparison, i have a video on youtube if you search me. chris funk the feral one. i have several vids of each boat on their own as well.

mp875

Thanks for all the replies! I really appreciate it. I've looked at them in person twice and read every review and post I can find and I still can't decide.

So I'm going to get both!

Well, not really GET both, but I've arranged to RENT both a Big Rig AND a Coosa HD.

Going down the river with several of my friends and I'll get to paddle both! That should make up my mind.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Big Rig, but we'll see how it goes. I'll be sure and report back!

Which one did you decide on? I am also looking at these two kayaks. mainly fish rivers.