Selling gator hide

jabb06

Anyone have any idea how much gator hide is bringing?

jabb06

10-4.just weighing options.the folks here want $330 per foot to process & mount a gator

shdw633

I trade the meat out for the processing, then I take the raw hide and barter the hide for a couple of wallets and/or belts from someone like Alligator Jake (he is in Melbourne Florida but you probably have someone up there that does the same thing), they take the raw hide and tan it (which is expensive to do) then make things like wallets, shoes, belts, vests etc to sell on the open market. Your basically giving him your hide in exchange for something he makes and he uses the rest of the hide to make him some money. Then go mount the head only, which is a lot less than the whole gator. That will give you a memento of your hunt, plus a cool head mount for your trophy room and save you some money. I do that every year down here in Florida but keep in mind we get two gators every year that were drawn and we don't have to wait for preference points to get drawn.

Year before I had my two gators made into a clutch for my wife for her anniversary (That gator in my avatar is now in my wifes purse as her new clutch!!) and my last years gators I bartered out for a custom made pistol holster. If I want some meat I just buy it from the processor which last time I checked down here was about $2.50 a pound.

One last thing...if you tan the hide yourself it's worth a whole lot more, but if you ruin it in the process, it's worth nothing. Good luck!!