If you were going to buy a new muzzleloader….

jmharris23

Mark this is off topic but it is wonderful to see that avatar picture of you and your special family. Those children are so blessed to have you and your wife.

But I bet y'all feel the blessing is on you.

No doubt Marvin! Everyday!

Darkhorse

I would build another flintlock and buy premium parts. Due to a shoulder injury this one needs to be lighter and shorter for hunting ground blinds. Probably a 36" "B" profile in .50 caliber.
I can't help with the inlines as I've never shot one.

shdw633

I have a Knight, an Optima and a Remington 700, of the three I like the Remington 700 the best; however, that being said if I were in the market for a new ML, it would be either a used Pro Hunter or a new Pro Hunter FX. Look at gunbroker.com and you can find some great deals on new and used ML's. I just bought a Optima 45 cal, stainless steel barrel and camo stock, like new for $239 on there.

Chase4556

I have a CVA wolf. I put a $40 cabellas scope on it to make a package deal for less than $250 shipped to my door. It will cloverleaf 3 shots at 100yds using 240gr Hornady XTPs over 100gr of T7 pellets. Kills them dead, furthest kill is about 175yds. Works great, easy to clean, accurate.... what more could you really ask for from a hunting rifle?

tv_racin_fan

Never owned an inline before.. got myself a CVA Optima V2 pistol.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
My traditional rifles are not hard to clean either. And are just as accurate as about any of the modern rifles that use iron sights.

F.A.R.R.

Seems like you are getting responses for just about every manufacturer out there.

I have had a Knight Bighorn for many years and it has served me very well. It has a high quality accurate barrel and came with a Timney Trigger. It is a pretty simple, accurate, reliable rifle-and that's what I want in any hunting rifle.

It's been my experience that some of my buddies with muzzle loaders made by other companies ( not gonna dog any of them here) -that they either lack in accuracy or reliability-that's why I'm an advocate for Knight.

pacecars

I would look for a used White Rifles Super 91, Elite 98 or their Whitetail. They are fantastic shooters and if you use their lead bullets instead of sabots you can shoot multiple time accurately and they load pretty quickly. They have been out of business a few years but are well worth it.

Last edited:

BarnesAddict

Depends again on rather you want traditional or in-line. If its an in-line, then for a production rifle the Knight Mountaineer is as good as it gets. Cooper is putting out a new muzzleloader, not released yet but, there's a nice rifle being built by Cooper. If you want to go all out and have a muzzleloader capable of long range, look over the Ultimate Firearms Inc. rifle, the BP Xpress.

Dad always used to say, "If you don't have the money or time to do it right the first time, where you going to get the money or time to do it over?"

Good luck

willie1971

I just got the CVA wolf, stainless/camo with scope and gun case for $279, free shipping at Cabelas. Can't wait to try it out.

nrh0011

I just saw 2 CVA optima V2's on gun broker new in box for 260. I'm thinking about buying one. thoughts??