Building a custom rifle.... Need opinions!

aaronward9

I am wanting to have a custom rifle built. I will be using a 700 SA. I already have a 308 and 7-08 and was wanting a "cool" caliber. Wanting something that isn't seen everyday, but also something that's not unheard of. Maybe a 6.5-284, 6.5 Creemore, 260 AI, etc. Not interested in a magnum (WSM) or anything like that.

What would be some calibers you guys would recommend and also barrel manufacturers?? I already have someone to build it, he's just waiting for me to decide on my end! Thanks in advance!

HOBO

You are on the right track!!

AARONWARD9

.... You are on the right track!! Any of the 6.5 (.260) caliber's would be great and most all have ballistic coefficients surpassing many of the "big boy" calibers in the 7mm and 30 caliber lineup... They all are inherently super accurate and their long down range performance is amazing....

Personally,,, I'm currently using a McWhorter built 6.5x47 Lapua shooting 140 Gr Burger VDL bullets... Before this I shot a 260 Remington....

Awesome caliber!!!

Good luck with your build!!!

(.... BTW,,,, Tim McWhorter from Doerun, Ga guarantees 1/2" or better accuracy)

--------<" ){{{{><

wareagle700

.260 or 6.5 Creed gets my vote. I love the 6.5's.

GAHUNTER60

Depends on whether you are looking for a long-range "sheep gun" or a short- to mid-range elk and moose thumper.

If it's a long-range gun you're looking for, then the Creedmore would be hard to beat. If elk and moose are in your future (out to 300 yards), then I'd go with the .358 Winchester or possibly a .350 Rem. Magnum (basically, a SA .35 Whelen).

Elkbane

280 AI. Good for deer through Elk. Lots of good 7mm bullets around. If you reload, with a Creedmore, you'll have to use Hornady cases or fireform some from other brass.

Mine isn't a custom but I'm liking the round - it shoots Nosler factory ammo like a target rifle. Have pounded two elk and two deer with it so far. Shoots flat, hits hard. I'll eventually load - just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Elkbane

tom ga hunter

I plan to use a 250AI opening day, about the same as a 257 Roberts. Since you already have a 7-08, I don't see having a 6.5mm rifle built just .02" difference. I have owned a Jarrette 280AI & it just wasn't worth the effort. Given what you have I'd build a 338 federal or 35 Whelen. If you want something with moderate recoil & 100 yds longer range than your 308 & 7-08 you just can't beat a 270.

Lilja has same day shipment on a large stock of hunting weight barrels, I have used them on my last 2 builds and I recommend them.

http://riflebarrels.com/product-category/in-stock-barrels/stock/

Last edited:

BriarPatch99

6mm-284Win with a 1/8" twist ... shoot the long bullets that will reach ... with even less kick than a 6.5 mm ...

hitchin

custom rifle

I have just finished a 260 Remington build on a 700 long action. I went with Bartlien on the barrel with 8 twist and 5r rifling. I am very pleased with the results. I looked a while before deciding on the 260. I can get 2900 out of the 140 grain bullets, and it shoots into one hole @ 100. I have had experience with the ackley improved and don't think it worth the effort to fireform the brass.
Bottom line is build what YOU want.

Klondike

So if you reload I would consider a WSM in an SA because you can load it light like a non magnum and have the versatility to shoot a 7mm wsm, 300 wsm, 325 wsm for larger game.

Standard caliber go 6.5 creedmore, better science behinde the shoulder angle than the 260

aaronward9

Thanks everyone for the advice! I've thought about trading my short action for a long action and looking at a 257 Weatherby or a 280 AI. I have time on my side so I'm good with that!

B Man

6mm-284Win with a 1/8" twist ... shoot the long bullets that will reach ... with even less kick than a 6.5 mm ...

Been seriously considering this build myself a few year.

OP since you have a .308 & 7-08 why not take a leap one way or the other. 6-284 or 338 federal.

wareagle700

I bet that round will cook a barrel fast.

Dub

The off the rack rifles are so dang accurate now that my desire for a custom waned. I'd rather put the money into quality glass.

I can see where it'd be fun to shoot something a little different, though.