Highest Quality Grunt Call????

Paul Cataldo

Guys,
I know this has probably been discussed, but I was just wondering if anyone has extensively tested/used all the different calls, and came up with the BEST??
I have seen the True Talker gets a lot of votes, but it seems to me, that there has to be something better? No?
I have always used the cheap little Primos and Knight and Hales, but they are not all that great. Cheaply made. I want something better, and would like some opinions....

reylamb

I may not have tried them all, but I have tried a bunch, and the best for me is the True Talker.

Arrow Flinger

I have tried a bunch of them and the True Talker is the one I carry and have for 3 years. Most realistic I have heard and several deer have thought so too. I raise the tone just a touch from the factory setting though.

Tom Borck

Banned
By the cheapest one on the market! I have had better luck using my mouth as a grunt call than some of those expensive grunts! Right now I am using one that I got FREE from somewhere! Each deer has a different grunt (voice if you will), so it makes sense to me that a deer will respond to any noise resembling a grunt, etc..

leoparddog

I've spent way too much money on deer calls. They universally fall apart, break or otherwise become inoperative. Also there is only one deer call that I've ever used that has worked.

By worked I mean, I grunted on it, the buck stood up behind me, thrashed a small pine tree and came looking for the 'deer' that made the noise. My heart was literally pounding.

After that over the last few seasons, I've used it during the rut and often see deer within 5 minutes of honking on it, and I blew it several times right before I killed my biggest 8 pointer ever.

I don't remember the name of the call, but they are small metal and plastic affairs with blue or red foam that acts as the mouthpiece. The reed parts are inside your mouth, you hold it there by biting on the foam and just a small clear plastic tube projects from your mouth.

They are very quiet calls and the only one I have any confidence in.

Dustin's post right below has it right. That's the call I use Modern Calls Hands Free

Last edited:

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I have been using Modern Calls Hands Free for the past 4 or 5 years. My dad also uses it and has a Heard County 9 pt. that fell for it on the wall. Many other deer have fell to it also.

Sweaty

Ga Greybeard
I have a Noel Feather grunt that is about 16 years old that I carry. It isn't very loud but fairly effective.

coon dawg

GONetwork Member

same as a couple others posted..........I use my mouth to grunt and grunt/snort/wheeze...........sounds better than any call. :)

mpowell

i've used the same knight and hale grunt call since i bought in 9th grade (1989) and it works fine. hang it around my neck with an old, brown shoe string!

Bow Grunter + Plus

I have bought my fair share of grunt calls. I bought a Bow Grunter Plus+ from Fred Abbas who invented the call. It is A-Way Hunting Product. It is a great call. It is hands free and you can use real soft tones. It has an extenda tube that is removable for when you bow hunt and want to grunt when deer are close and want to really soft tones. You can put the extenda tube on if you want to get loud or for windy days. It is an inhale grunt. It has 4 settings mature buck, young buck, doe, fawn. It pins on your side out of the way. Great product lifetime guarantee. $14.99 I have hunted for one for about 5 years. I believe it is the best grunt call made hands down.

Carp

I have used a Lohman and know for a fact that the last 7 bucks I have killed were called in with the hair standing up on their necks and grunting and some stopping to hit some trees with thier antlers. I love it!

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Noel Feather, Now there is a name from the past. I met him one time at one of the Buskaramas. This was shortly before he got busted for several gamelaw violations. Bet they ain't putting his name on stuff anymore. I have been using a grunt call by Knight and Hale for several years.

Dub

I never hang on to one long enough to find out....loose two or more each season.....getting to the point where I'm littering.

Davexx1

I have used several different brands of grunt calls over the years and have called bucks in with each one. I seldom call blind usually only calling when I see a buck off in the distance.

My latest call was the Knight & Hale EZ Grunter. It worked on a nice buck this year, called him in from 200 yards going away from me to about 60 yards and took him with my Contender handgun. The call was a couple years old and after leaving it in my truck during a warm day the guts fell out of it. I put it back together but never got it to sound right again so I too will on the hunt for a new call next year.

Dave1