Best grass for clay?

HighCotton

Simple and easy answer.

Fescue or bermudagrass. Centipede is more suited to south Ga. You're in middle Ga.

Select the type you prefer. If it were me, I'd go with fescue because I prefer the look. there are several types of fescue available. Soil test and then lime and fertilize according to the test.

If you're going to do this, do it now before it gets too hot.

whitworth

A lot of seed worked for me in Georgia clay

just as long as you use lime and fertilizer. As far as I was concerned, forget the lime; forget the work altogether.

Pineyrooter

I agree with Twenty Five and others about needing organic matter and/or plain ole quality topsoil. When I bought the house I'm living in the yard had absolutely no topsoil or organic matter. I had raw red clay soil and that’s it. The previous owner had planted some type of fescue grass (maybe K31) but it was really struggling. I had more weeds than grass. Basically, if you have red clay and little or no topsoil you will greatly benefit from having some hauled in. Now, this may sound like a big deal but if you really want to grow grass you need some quality soil. Screened topsoil is the way to go in my opinion if you can swing the extra cost. Organic matter like decayed sawdust from an old sawmill site works well. Proper lime and fertilize is very important. Aeration from using an aerator helps. I live in Lumpkin County and I've found Rebel Supreme type fescue grows really well in both sun and shade. I picked up a bag at Home Depot. With proper nutrients and correct soil PH the stuff will turn a dark green which really makes a nice lawn. My .02

HighCotton

I agree with Twenty Five and others about needing organic matter and/or plain ole quality topsoil. When I bought the house I'm living in the yard had absolutely no topsoil or organic matter. I had raw red clay soil and that’s it. The previous owner had planted some type of fescue grass (maybe K31) but it was really struggling. I had more weeds than grass. Basically, if you have red clay and little or no topsoil you will greatly benefit from having some hauled in. Now, this may sound like a big deal but if you really want to grow grass you need some quality soil. Screened topsoil is the way to go in my opinion if you can swing the extra cost. Organic matter like decayed sawdust from an old sawmill site works well. Proper lime and fertilize is very important. Aeration from using an aerator helps. I live in Lumpkin County and I've found Rebel Supreme type fescue grows really well in both sun and shade. I picked up a bag at Home Depot. With proper nutrients and correct soil PH the stuff will turn a dark green which really makes a nice lawn. My .02

:cool: