Guns for Teachers??????

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
H

HT2

NRA Leader Advocates Guns for Teachers

Fri Mar 25, 7:55 PM ET U.S. National - AP

By ARTHUR H. ROTSTEIN, Associated Press Writer

PHOENIX - All options should be considered to prevent rampages like the Minnesota school shooting that took 10 lives — including making guns available to teachers, a top National Rifle Association leader said Friday.

"I'm not saying that that means every teacher should have a gun or not, but what I am saying is we need to look at all the options at what will truly protect the students," the NRA's first vice president, Sandra S. Froman, told The Associated Press.

Gun-control restrictions would not have prevented Jeff Weise, 16, from killing nine people and himself Monday at Red Lake High School near Bemidji, Minn., said Froman, an attorney expected next month to be elected president of the NRA, which claims 4 million members.

The presence of an unarmed guard at the school failed to stop the siege, she noted.

"No gun law, no policy that you could implement now or that was already implemented, I think, could possibly prevent someone so intent on destruction," she said. "I think everything's on the table as far as looking at what we need to do to make our schools safe for our students."

Froman said if it is the responsibility of teachers to protect students in a school, "then we as a society, we as a community have to provide a way for the teachers to do that."

Froman cited the 1997 school shooting incident in Pearl, Miss., where a teacher retrieved a gun from his car when a student opened fire, then held the student at bay until police arrived.

A law prohibiting guns in schools "is not going to stop someone who has evil in their heart and who has the capacity to commit those crimes from doing them," Froman said.

bradpatt03

i don't think this is a good idea at all. too many of my teachers had big heads and went on power trips as it is..give em a gun and you will have issues of un-needed threats, etc. if my teachers waved guns around at me when i was in high school ida quit. there are a few times where it could help but all in all i think it would make things worse. people don't think that a good portion of teachers are little old ladies and it wouldn't take much for a student or anyone else for that matter to wrestle a gun away from them and use it on someone else or the teacher even

Last edited:

broadhead

No!

Absolutely not. Isolated incidences such as the school shootings where one student goes off the deep end, does not warrant holding the daily threat of death by teacher carrying guns over school children.
Look at what happened in the video that was posted here recently. A DEA agent, a trained firearms professional, shot himself during a gun safety demonstration in front of school aged children.

Also, by arming teacher's we would risk a student getting his/her hands on a teacher's gun. Prison guards do not carry guns.

BTW, I'm a public school teacher and I have a carry permit. I would not carry at school even if it were legal.

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
Teachers do not need guns although I see a needfor an armed security guard. The way to stop this sort of thing from happening is to prosecute the parents for their childrens actions and send them to jail. After a few moms and dads have been sent off to prison maybe it will let every parent know that they need to keep their guns locked up and pay more attention to their kids and spend more time raising them rather than looking for ways for them to raise themselves Parents must realize that they are responsible for the way their children act and do. I realized at a very early age that my dads guns as well as any other gun that I found was completely off limits without my dad there with me
I know we cannot be with our children every minute especially when they get cars and dating on their mind but we can make sure that we spend enough time with them to see whats going on in their head to curb these things from happening. I realize that parents donot have the ability to protect our kids from everything but I do know someone that can be with them now and 24/7 everyday of their lives lets teel them about god and what he is capable of. And as parents we need to pray for them always. ::; ::;
This may not be the best solution but I beleive if parents were woke up to realize that they are responsible for their children then they would either not have any or they would pay more attention to them.

bradpatt03

i agree. by the way...my high school did have an armed "police officer" every day and at all events (football / basketball games, etc)

dutchman

No. That doesn't sound like a very good idea to me. And my wife is a teacher in the public schools and she wouldn't want to carry.

Limbshaker

GONetwork Member
I think not, I shudder to think about some of the teachers that I had, being armed, under any circumstance. I don't know what the answer is based on our society's turn for political correctness, taking the discipline powers away from the school authorities, and the general "not caring" attitude that so many parents have. I don't think arming teachers is the answer though.
HHH :huh: :huh:

Augie

Teachers no, A well trained security guard or L.E.O. yes, maybe even two or three depending on the size of the school.
Also I feel the weapon should be carried concealed.

bradpatt03

yeah our "sro" i think he was called carried his within reach of anyone just in a basic holster. he wasn't a small guy but anyone coulda grabbed that thing. we are pretty sure it had rubber bullets but still

Cypress94

Not at all. Teachers with guns could make a bad situation worse. Bring back spankings in school....that solve the problem way before it starts.

Jorge

I voted no. Given my behavior in school, I likely would not be typing this reply if teachers were allowed to carry guns when I was in school. :p

GeauxLSU

Probably not. Though the idea is probably worth discussion, that soundbite is yet another example of what gives the N.R.A. such a bad reputation amongst some otherwise level headed (gun neutral) people.
I also wish they'd elect a different president. I REALLY wish Tom Selleck was up for the job....
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Schulze

GUys teachers are unable to defend themselves before and after school since it is a federal felony to be in possession even in a car in the parking lot if you work there.

Give them the rights every one of us has.

jay sullivent

of course they should be allowed to carryguns just as any other american. forced to have a gun, no. alowed to carry a legal weapon, heck yeah. that doesn't mean they're gonna be waving it in anybodies face. i am very surprised at the number of no responses, i was under the impresiion that most people on here were against gun control. is that not so?

my bleeding heart liberal democratic wife even says yes!! what's up with ya'll!!??

Last edited:

CharlesH

I would say no

As a future teacher, a male going into a profession dominated by women (elementary school) I would have to say that guns should not be allowed in the classroom. Yes, i could see instances where it would come in handy if something happened like Minnesota, and Colombine; but it would open up a whole other side. I guess if only certain people could carry it, but that's why we have officers at schools that can carry guns. It just wouldn't be worth the risk of some kids just wanting to try and see it/get there hands on it, boy would that be some law suite.

sr.corndog

No Guns In Teachers Hands!

I teach high school and would be scared to see what some of the idot teachers at my school would do if they had a gun! Most couldn't run if the school was on fire. They may be smart but some teachers have no common since! I would be in favor of leaving my gun in my car since I have A gun permit! Because if I want to go hunting after school I have to ride home and get my gun and that takes 30 plus minutes. That cuts in my daylight! Please don't allow teachers with guns! :flag:

Joe Moran

GeauxLSU said:
I also wish they'd elect a different president. I REALLY wish Tom Selleck was up for the job....
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

I know I'm :offtopic: but my wife told me the other day, that he recently came out of the closet! Come to find out that he's less of a "lady's man" & more of a "man's man" :eek:

Oh yeah, I voted NO.

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
jay sullivent said:
of course they should be allowed to carryguns just as any other american. forced to have a gun, no. alowed to carry a legal weapon, heck yeah. that doesn't mean they're gonna be waving it in anybodies face. i am very surprised at the number of no responses, i was under the impresiion that most people on here were against gun control. is that not so?

my bleeding heart liberal democratic wife even says yes!! what's up with ya'll!!??
Common sense tells me that some of these kids in high school are bigger and more aggresive than most teachers. When I was in school I can think of only one teacher that could come close to maybe handling me hand to hand. Thats the reason that I donot think they should be required to have them. If they have them in their vehicles and a problem comes up, and they want to go to their car like I would have to do then I donot have a problem. But making some 55 year old woman (or man) be forced to have a gun I donot think so.