Lightard Stump, Lightard Knots, Lightard Post, Pictures

7Mag Hunter

It would make a pretty fireplace mantle.

On second thought, :D

True "lightered pine" or "fat wood"
has to much pine tar in it and would be dangerous to use as a fireplace mantle.....

I have 300-400 lbs of fat wood right
now....Lightning hit a tree in my front yard several years ago and when the pines
were cut several had
5'-10' sections completely saturated and almost petrified (hard) with sap..I have
already burned 300-400 lbs of the stuff this last summer..

Scrapy

Banned
True "lightered pine" or "fat wood"
has to much pine tar in it and would be dangerous to use as a fireplace mantle.....

I have 300-400 lbs of fat wood right
now....Lightning hit a tree in my front yard several years ago and when the pines
were cut several had
5'-10' sections completely saturated and almost petrified (hard) with sap..I have
already burned 300-400 lbs of the stuff this last summer..

Kind of dangerous to use more than necessary in a fireplace. Those gums and resins condense on the inside of the chimney and over time they build up until one day you have a real hot fire and they catch up. Give you a chimney fire that will make the whole house whistle.

shakey gizzard

It's got thousands of uses. Synthetic base is cheaper and easier these days. The same chemical components are still in thousands of products that originally came only from lightwood.
Exactly!:D
Kind of dangerous to use more than necessary in a fireplace. Those gums and resins condense on the inside of the chimney and over time they build up until one day you have a real hot fire and they catch up. Give you a chimney fire that will make the whole house whistle.

Fact!

crokseti

I have a stump of it in the back yard which I started harvesting off of yesterday. Solid fat lighter stump which formed from a twin trunk pine forming from a common taproot. Ever how it died left solid sapwood 3 ft. above ground with what looks to be about 3 ft. below and 16 inches dia. Plenty for fire starters for a couple seasons

shakey gizzard

I have a stump of it in the back yard which I started harvesting off of yesterday. Solid fat lighter stump which formed from a twin trunk pine forming from a common taproot. Ever how it died left solid sapwood 3 ft. above ground with what looks to be about 3 ft. below and 16 inches dia. Plenty for fire starters for a couple seasons

Should last awhile!:bounce:

Scrapy

Banned
This might need to be on the cooking forum ,but as I understand it , #'s of folk in Southern California and New York City are into all things Cracker. Crackers, Cracker house Architecture, Cracker Cow, Cracker Horses . all things Cracker cep for Georgia Crackers cookies. Flarida did a real first rate ad job on dattun.

What I 'spose is us getting out there and chain sawing chips of lightwood and marketing it to those epicurions to "smoke" meat with. Have to be high dollar stuff what with all the bar oil and chains and bars we will burn up. Just price accordingly is all I reckon with a slight profit margin in mind.

Ya'll do know I tend to jest, Right? Cookin anything, even in a cast iron skillet over lighteredrerederedd will ruin the taste of anything and everything round it. It is strictly for lighter, like diesel fuel or kerosene on better wood. My notion to chip it and send it to NY City just shows what a hole I can be at times. LOL

7Mag Hunter

I do not burn any pine in my fireplace or wood stoves....

I burn the stuff outside in my burn pile !!!!!!!

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten

Scrapy: I have known people who lived their entire lives in the backwoods of the Lower Coastal Plains who have never burned anything for home heat except pure lightard. They used lightard in the cook stove, wood heater and/or fireplace.

Most of them lived in old homes which should have burned long ago if your premise is correct. I doubt seriously if they ever retained the services of a "chimney sweep".

Many of these same families would still be burning lightard today if it were readily available as in former times.

7Mag Hunter

Scrapy: I have known people who lived their entire lives in the backwoods of the Lower Coastal Plains who have never burned anything for home heat except pure lightard. They used lightard in the cook stove, wood heater and/or fireplace.

Most of them lived in old homes which should have burned long ago if your premise is correct. I doubt seriously if they ever retained the services of a "chimney sweep".

Many of these same families would still be burning lightard today if it were readily available as in former times.

So true...I remember my Dad telling
me when he was little they did not like to cut Hardwoods for firewood because it was to hard to cut by hand (no chainsaws) and split....They used mostly pine, but they had real built for use Brick/rock chimneys....Not the prefab stuff in most homes today...

Each fall his did would "burn out" the
chimney to get bird nests and any leftover creosote from last winter...
Dad said he could remember fire coming out the top of the chimney to
make sure it was clear !!!!!!!!!!!

tree cutter 08

The oldest pine I've cut around here was around 175 years old and was only about 20 inches on the stump. Had about a 6 inch heart to it. Cut one the other day about 150 years old and had it sawed into 2x10's. It had a pretty good amount of heart to it. How old you guys think some of the virgin pines were?

ghadarits

I had some lighter knot in the back of my truck one time and a guy I worked with asked me what it was. When I explained that it would burn wet and that I use it to light fires in my fire place because I don't have a gas burner he got real interested. He asked me if I would take him to cut some. I told him to meet me and we would. Well he did and we cut him a bunch of it. Like he had 6in diameter logs of it and a lot of them. He was all excited about getting it. I knew he had a gas burner in his fire place so told him to use it very sparingly several times.

Long story short he didn't listen. Another guy I worked with was at his house that very night and he said that he built a fire in the fire place and a few minutes later it sounded like a jet engine and that flames were going way up the chimney. They had to bring in a garden hose to put it out.

All I said was I told you not to use a lot of it. I believe he was on the bottom half of average intelligence.

Jeff Raines

Found this today

Attachments

• L1.jpg
    L1.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 728
  • L2.jpg
    L2.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 735
  • L3.jpg
    L3.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 722

Gaswamp

nice

Scrapy

Banned
Found this today

Obviously, lightwood is a renewable resource. The rings are very far apart to be old, slow growth pine. Even sap wood, hybrid loblolly can turn to lightered under the right conditions. Check out Paraquat and turpentine on the web.

Cool Hand Luke

Knot

Try to keep some around the shop to start a fire in our burn barrel. From Taylor Co.

Attachments

• Knot.jpg
    Knot.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 655

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
A few years ago, we had a great big chunk of fat lighter (what we call it here,) sittin' beside the wood stove in camp, with a hatchet to knock off splinters to start a fire. A buddy of mine was a bit intoxicated, and he threw the whole big chunk of fat lighter in the stove. In a few minutes, the stove was glowing red, there was a spout of fire shootin' 20 feet out the top of the chimney, sounded like a 747. We thought it was gonna burn the shack down. :bounce: